Thread: Possible Virus Alert

Banned

Talking Possible Virus Alert

Here is the link to the article
    I suppose the fact the virii could propegate using such medians as IM clients has been known for a while, although there was a low probability. Nobody thought about protecting against it like they did MS Blast, or the MyDoom's. The first virus on this "new" median, I predict, will either be huge, or small, then someone will make another, "better", virus to exploit the same exploit. I am not sure what exploits there are or could be for IM clients, but since I have a fair bit of free time I shall be investigating (PM me if you can help, or give me some hints on how to find expoits ^_^). The profile virus was quite minimal in that it was just a pain in the ass...

-Cheers-

Hmmmm

Somehow I don't think that I shall be using Q1 labs as a major consultancy partner

If the IM system permits the sending of attachments, then the scope of potential damage is only limited by the size of permissible attachments? and whether you have implemented precautions to scan IM/P2P applications and to block scripts running out of browsers/IM/P2P etc.

I think that this is why most sensible organisations block such traffic, and why we get so many bozos saying "how can I tunnel through my corporate/college/school firewall so I can chat on the net"????????????

I was predicting this three years ago...............when it WAS apochryphal.......today it is rather old hat. Most organisations have to permit e-mail.................they do NOT have to permit IM? after all we do have opposable thumbs and telephones............anyways e-mails are harder to deny than IMs [rule #1 of project management.......first identify the fall guy?]

As for the guy who wrote that:

"he who laughs last laughs longest, but usually earns a reputation for being a bit slow"

Interesting post though........thanks

My next prediction is mobile phones as soon as they can handle enogh text to permit viral routines, as opposed to crude SMS bombs..................and I predicted that 2 years ago.

Guess the guy was looking for a free plug for his outfit?

Cheers

Banned
    "new" median... Why do peaple keep saying that? So far there have been many worms that have taken advantage of IM applications, even you yourself seemed to have said it rather sarcasticly. And who needs exploits?

Banned
    Heh. I was a skiddie not much more than a year or so ago ^_^. I was to busy being a dumbass, good call though Nihil. For someone named nihil you sure know a lot .
    And who needs exploits?
    Less need to social engineer complete idiots. I am sure there are people who don't know how to except files. LOl.

-Cheers-