Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Blank email "spam"?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    That's just tells the source (sender) and STMP server. It's why the emails exist and what, if anything, they might be used for.

The Spam Mailist verification might be one thing. Users would likely respond saying, I got your message but it was blank.

The other possibility could be bad spam (screwed up SPAM app).

But the idea of perhaps seeing what emails are live to send out a virus or worm might also be a possibility. The student tells me the messages have slowed down and he's not receiving them any more (either yahoo got a clue from his complaints or the originator is stopping). That in itself is interesting, IMHO.

At the least users in companies should be made aware of the fact that empty emails should be just tossed. Unfortunately, I can't think of a filter that would detect it unless you created a script to check for any content (a rare thing employed in my experience).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

filter.. To must include @Company.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Ah.. and mailing lists then are excluded? (mailing lists often put mailinglist@mailinglist.com)

Example, Full Disclosure:

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage