Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Popups Won't Go Away!

Popups Won't Go Away!

I've used AdWare/Spybot, turned off Windows Messenger and deleted all of the registry keys which seemed suspicious to me. I also used CW Shredder and I'm still getting popups offline. Here's a HijackThis log which i ran a few minutes before posting, which I hope will help.

I thought that this was a little strange " blengine.exe ".

Adware.Buddylinks

Read the above link and I hope that helps you solve your problems.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I checked and I did find one of the buddylinks folders, but not the main folder or the registry key. But i did find another potential suspect, unless it's some codenamed windows thing
    Suspect: BCMSMMSG.exe

O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 gator.com #cooklop
    O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 tripod.com #cooklop
    O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 www.tripod.com #cooklop
    O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 adultfriendfinder.com #cooklop
    O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 www.adultfriendfinder.com #cooklop
    O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 cj.com #cooklop
    O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 www.cj.com #cooklop
    O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 paypopup.com #cooklop
    O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 www.paypopup.com #cooklop
    O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 trafficmp.com #cooklop
    O1 - Hosts: 64.200.25.145 www.trafficmp.com #cooklop

check those out

BCMSMMSG.exe

Info :
    bcmsmmsg - bcmsmmsg.exe - Process Information
    Process File: bcmsmmsg or bcmsmmsg.exe
    Process Name: BCMSMMSG
    Description: Background task used as a BCM voice modem driver and required for dial-up modems.
    Company: Broadcom Corporation.
    System Process: No
    Security Risk ( Virus/Trojan/Worm/Adware/Spyware ): No
    Common Errors: N/A
    Give this site a try :

Spyware Guide
    - Would you like to guard your PC against malicious ActiveX components?
    Check our latest FREE Spyware BlockList File.
    -New! Think you are infected with a spyware or adware? Try the free online scanner!
    Like Soda_Popinsky suggested you might wanna take a look at that as well.
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Old Fart
    I noticed in the log that hijackthis.exe is residing in your temp internet files...clean'em up and do a cookie dump, then go to www.mozilla.org and get a browser that isn't so damned vulnerable to bullsh*t like this.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Thanks everyone, I think i may have fixed it. But here's another question. What's WildTangent and how do i get rid of it. I've used Adware and Spybot multiple times, but it keeps reinstalling itself somehow. *Sigh* Adware/Spyware is so annoying...

it's funny (wierd funny) as I think wildtangent should show up in your hijackthis log and I see no reference to it.. after you've fixed what others have suggested, rerun hijackthis and post a new log.. or go over to spywareinfo's forum and post a log there as they are a bit better at deciphering what should be deleted..

good luck..

edit: AFAIK, wildtangent will make it's own directory on your hard drive. do a search of the drive and a search of the registry

ShadowDaemon777 WildTangent and how do i get rid of it. wild tangent is a grouping of games some online some off line as i believe ...spybot 1.2 reports this as spyware/adware...usually found in windows millenium edition ....to get rid of ...click start...settings ...control panel....add/remove programs....then scan down till you see wild tangent ...click on wild tangent ...then click add/remove button to eliminate it completely from your system....hope this helps you ....knightstmplr1@msn.com

Some Winamp plugins are made by WildTangent... If I recall correctly, it even installs an icon to your Control Panel and tries to contact the internet every once in a while. I recommend you to install a firewall so that you can detect those "internal extrusions" as well as external intrusions.
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25