Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Why linux is better than Windows?

Maestr0 is dead on with the points pointed out about your rough draft (Let's call it that). It is great that you do know all of this but when you don't state sources then your teacher will really never know if it is true or not. We are trying to write a professional paper here correct?? I was always taught to state sources when statistics are involved. Once they come out of your mouth, the statistics could have been skewed to your bias.

Other than keep working on it and I'm sure the AntiOnline Community will be glad to help you out and work out all the kinks.

Originally posted here by MemorY
    The sources are ME. I know those things. I dont know where i read about them, it was along time ago, so i dont have sources. There will be a (Article Title, and last name of author)after every sentence i copied from somewhere else. There will be a works cited page at the end naming the sources. everything else are my words.

I'll get more to the point in the introduction. The paper is not odne yet, so i'll probaby post it tonight.

I find the argument for Linux being better than windows a bit repettive, we hear it all the time.

Thats not to say that my favorite OS isnt Linux, but I use it for the sake of pro-diversification. I could if I want do everything I needed in windows, but its just a matter of personnal taste the reason I use Linux. Theres advantages and disadvantages of both.

I understand that people may now look down on me and say your just a lamer, kiddie etc.... but i couldnt care less I no allot, Ive done allot on both OS's so I feel that i can happily comment. Ive used Mac, BSD, Unix and many other older and embedded OS's in my time so I feel that I have had enough chance to form my options.

One thing that winds me up more than anything is when people are there slating windows but wont try anything else, If you have tried something else and used it then your free to comment.

MemorY has, im sure used a great deal of OS's becuase from what I have read here on AO he is a highly experienced computer user so can comment, and I respect him for his comments that he has put forward and would like to read the remainder of his paper

Those are just my belief, mostly written here becuase of my current mood becuase of being sat in a room full of supposed uber geeks that believe that they can comment on Windows without using other OS's

rant over....

i2c

Banned
    Maestr0 is dead on with the points pointed out about your rough draft (Let's call it that). It is great that you do know all of this but when you don't state sources then your teacher will really never know if it is true or not.
    Well the sources will BE listed on the last page. For the quotes i just have to lis the name of the author and the article title, not the source, the teacher will know where to fidn the aricle by looking at the Works Cited page.

Tx all again.

One thing you may want to touch on that has not been mentioned is social responsibillity and community. Linux and open source in general are based on community, sharing and helping others. M$ is based on profit and greed, pure and simple. As well as having a very poor record in the areas of fair trade practices and anticompetittive actions and also silly lies like this http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3485972.stm , they have/are being investigated/punished.. in the us, japan and the eu and possibly other places. (yes billy boy gives money to charity but so do many others, and i would bet that as a percentage of income i and many others have donated considerably more than him)

Is this a M$ bash , yes and damn proud of it. I bet m$ has more people WORKING on windows than openbsd has USING their os. For that and the excessive cost i expect a better product than has been sold to me. When was the last time you had to be interrogated and beg to use a product you legally purchased ?, for me it is only when i reinstall windows. I believe the fact of being treated as a thief and the lack of social responsibilltiy makes open source better.

ps. linux would support all hardware but it is the hardware companys (many of whom are in bed with m$, vested interest) who hinder drivers not linux, reverse engineering/cracking takes skill and time and that is just the way it is.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

The sources are ME. I know those things. I dont know where i read about them, it was along time ago, so i dont have sources. There will be a (Article Title, and last name of author)after every sentence i copied from somewhere else. There will be a works cited page at the end naming the sources. everything else are my words.

I understand what you are saying that the sources will be at the end. But that is not a standard way to write a paper. If you have a statistic in a paper that is not general knowledge then you must support that statistic with a respectable source. If it is something that is considered general knowledge then you can just say it. After reading your paper I would say that you have put in many things that you are saying are fact, that are not fact at all.

For instance, if I say, "Windows is an OS made by Microsoft." I wouldn't have to support that with a source. That is general knowledge. However, if I say something like, "NTFS is a 32 bit file system system that has more features than Fat32 or Fat16." I would have to put an authoritative source into the paper. Even though that is general knowledge to me, it may not be general knowledge to all of my readers. In MLA and APA format the source usually follows directly after the information so that the reader can verify the information for themselves. If this is for a college level course, this paper needs a lot of work.

Another note, Bill Gates did not buy qdos from a hacker. Microsoft bought it from Seattle Computer Products. I have seen conflicting reports that say it was Seattle Computer Producers, not products. Saying that qdos was a full feature product when it was bought is also another big misunderstanding. MS made quit a bit of modifications to qdos before it was officially released as MS-DOS. And this was mostly done by Bill Gates and Paul Allen. While MS did have money at their inception, they did not have a lot of people working for them. It is also not the case that linux has 6% of the market with MS having 94%. What about MacOS-X, Solaris, Netware, etc. There is a lot of debate about a recent report that said that linux has a 0.26% global market share. There are far more people using macintosh computers than linux. There are some major flaws in your logic, and the made up percentages and "facts" show that to the reader.

Went back and re-read the original again.. MS payed $100k for the rights. Not 50k.

Banned
    One thing you may want to touch on that has not been mentioned is social responsibillity and community.
    Actually i was gonna mentioned the community, the distributors, contributors and commuity help.

Ok, people, this is not the most advanced paper, it is for a 11th grade high school course. The paper will not be read by anybody else then our teacher, and she knows what it is if im talking about FAT32, NTFS or ext2, LILO and so on..... This is the rough draft. it needs a lot of work, i know, im gonna submit the paper like it is now. I have to write it today, later on, complete (rough draft) paper will be posted. I'll wait and see what my teacher suggests, i can do the changes you guys suggested, they are great, but i want to see what my teacher wants to change first. Then i'll add some of the stuff mentioned in here.

Great thread bye the way. This is great help for newbies that want to learn some basic things about MS and Linux.

Every thing they said lol but to sum it up linux may not be better or worst but it shore is DIFFERENT! work on that angle. (B)

Banned
    Every thing they said lol but to sum it up linux may not be better or worst but it shore is DIFFERENT! work on that angle.
    Oh man. If anyone else replies that linux is equal to windows i'll neg them. I kow that. And if you would read the whole thread you would notice that i said, I need to make Linux shine. not Microsoft, Linux has to be the best here. Im not trying to pursue the whole community that Linux is better, just my teacher, and she already thinks that Linux is better. Linux must be better, that is the goal of the paper. Even if it's not true for some. Let's say i believe that eating dog **** is healthy, then i would write a paper that talks about how dog **** is healthy. In this paper im "believing" that linux is better, and i have to make someone else believe like me.

I don't know so much about Linux OS, but I like this threat so much especially threat by MemorY. Thanks, this info gimme little bit knowledge about Linux..

Originally posted here by JohnHACK
    I don't know so much about Linux OS, but I like this threat so much especially threat by MemorY. Thanks, this info gimme little bit knowledge about Linux..
    Sorry couldn't resist, but hey MemorY, you're threatening us!

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds