Ok i have to write a persuasive 5 page paper. Now i need any suggestions that help me make Linux stand out more, and some of the BEST known Windows Secuirty flaws, and basicly why linux is more secure, reliable, and so on... I decided to put this in the Misc Secuirty Disc. Forum because it discusses some of Linux and Windows Security. and other things. If you want MsM, move it to GCC . It's like that i NEED help, i kow what im gonna write, i'll finish it tommorow and post the rest of it. I was just curious what you guys might think are some important issues.

This is what i've got so far.

Why Linux is better than Windows?

In this paper I will explain the infrastructure, security, reliability, and other things about Linux and Windows. My point is to try and prove to you that Linux is better than Windows.

Let’s take a look at the past of Linux and Windows. “It was 1991, and the ruthless agonies of the cold war was gradually coming to an end. There was an air of peace and tranquility that prevailed in the horizon. In the field of computing, a great future seemed to be in the offing, as powerful hardware pushed the limits of the computers beyond what anyone expected.”(Version of Linux, Ragib.) A young student, Linus Torvalds at Computer Science at the University of Helsinki was a self-taught hacker who was impressed by computers and pushed them to their maximum capabilities. All that lacked was an OS (Operating System). At that time MINIX was an OS for teaching purposes. Also at the same time the GNU Project by Richard Stallman was evolving. That’s how free source software came to life. “But Stallman had a different vision. His idea was that unlike other products, software should be free from restrictions against copying or modification in order to make better and efficient computer programs.” (History of Linux, Ragib.) Linus Torvalds at that time started a hobby OS called Linux. He sent out an electronic mail to the GNU Project telling them about his little project. The first Linux version was release in September. Version 0.01 came out and was released onto the net. Programmers around the world downloaded the code, studied and tweaked it and sent it back to Linus, shortly after that version 0.02 came out and so on. About 10 years earlier, IBM hired Bill Gates to make an OS for their new PC. But he did not write the OS; he bought it from a Seattle hacker for 50,000 dollars. Bill Gates was a brilliant businessman but no programmer. He still had the marketing rights to MS-DOS, that’s how he made all the money, he sold it to other companies for high prices. Today Linux has taken over 6% of the computer market. It might no seem much to the compared 94% that Microsoft owns, but every day more and more companies are switching over to Linux, even Microsoft. After a defacement of Microsoft’s website, they deiced to switch to Linux servers because they’re more secure then their own servers running Windows. "Microsoft issued a security alert on March 17 2003 regarding a buffer overflow vulnerability which allows attackers to execute arbitrary code on Windows 2000 machines.” “In a year and 4 month period, between August 1999 and January 4th, 2001, 8071 separate web sites were broken into and subsequently defaced. The OS percentages for these defaced sites were as follows: “56.57% (4566 servers) Ran Microsoft Windows NT 7.76% (626 servers) Ran Red Hat Linux 0.42% (34 servers) Ran Linux (ALZZA), 0.31% (25 servers) Ran Linux (Cobalt)” (OS Statistics. Dickerson & Martin). I think these numbers prove that Linux is way more secure than Windows. Linux also started to take over the PC home user desktop world. More and more versions of linux are released for the home users that want to learn how to use Linux. The easier to use Version of Linux are also more secure than Windows. “LILO lets you set a separate password for each individual boot image, or menu option”,(Warm up to Penguins”.Leblanc,38). Linux is also open-source software which means that you can see the code and find bugs and fix them before someone else uses them to hack your system. “Globsl File System works especially well with Linux, it provides even better secuirty than the Linux file system ext2.) Linux is also more powerfull and space consuming than Windows. “System tools are small and highly specialized. The result is an incredible powerfull system”(Our Linux Top 10 Reasons, Reichel Systems.) Now to the compability and stability of Linux. “

This is like a little bit less that half the paper. Because it's 12 font size, Times New Roman, double spaced, first line idented.