Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why linux is better than Windows?

"Bill Gates was a brilliant businessman but no programmer."

Gate wrote a basic interpreter for the altair which had to fit in less than 4k of memory. I would call that quite a programming feat. I use linux, but no point in bashing bill unnessecarily - theres enough real reasons to bash him

You did not say what class this was for or who the intended audience is, all you said was

... a persuasive ... paper.
    Obviously, by nature of the assignment it will be slanted. I don’t think we need to debate the merits of the topic. It is like being on a debating team and being given a topic to defend, whether you agree with it or not you have to try and win ( is this a pre-law class ? )

First, constructive criticism ( I hope ) :
    You have a lot of quotes. Could you get it to flow more smoothly by just referring to your sources but putting the content in your own words? Or including the quotes and elaborating on how these items effect the average person?

I would stress the http://www.gnu.org/]GNU GENERAL PUBLIC LICENSE[/URL] and merits of having coders from the entire globe trying to refine and secure the OS, while at the same time bash the “security by obscurity” nature of closed source software as ineffective ( referencing the statistics )

Also I would include the inclusion of the SELinux into mainstream as a huge boost to to the future of the Linux OS. ( ref. http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3317331]Linux Gets Security Boost from NSA[/URL]

Good luck with the paper.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Banned
    Holy ****, i ahve to go to school i'll read all those post later.

Why not, instead of spreading falsehoods, show how they are both equal? Why not teach people how Windows can do what Linux can, and Linux can do what windows can?
    Can't do. I have to persue someone into liking something more than something else. Thats the goal of the paper. Now im not a windows hater, i use Windows ALl the time, used Linux couple of times. Tx for the links, suggestions and those huge posts. I'll read everything when i come home today.

TX again.

Well the trageted audience are WIndows users. Or normal people with some technical knowledge.

You have a lot of quotes. Could you get it to flow more smoothly by just referring to your sources but putting the content in your own words? Or including the quotes and elaborating on how these items effect the average person?
    70 percent of the paper will be wuotes, citations...... Thats what my teacher said. Around 25 percent will be our words.

:X Ah, if that is the case then I would pay you money to do it on anything other than Operating Systems. The last thing we need are more biased admins hating Windows/Linux (not you, the people who read it). Seriously. You. Me. Paypal. Save the whales sort of thing.

Banned
    :X Ah, if that is the case then I would pay you money to do it on anything other than Operating Systems. The last thing we need are more biased admins hating Windows/Linux
    Well, nobody is gonna read it except My teacher, and she uses Linux allready, so ...

ok, g2g to class.

hey pooh , would you pay me not to write such a paper??
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Well, nobody is gonna read it except My teacher,
    Ahh, my misunderstanding. So used to papers being spoken in front of a group for discussion I simply preassumed. Best wishes on the paper, and may the Tao bring good things upon your path today!

would you pay me not to write such a paper
    lol No. Difference being you would be doing it just to spite me, and that isn't very nice.

Difference being you would be doing it just to spite me,
    No, I'd be not doing it for the money !!

Persuasive paper

I realize this is meant to be a pursuasive piece but I will point out a few things from just a writing standpoint:

First lets look at the topic sentence:

"In this paper I will explain the infrastructure, security, reliability, and other things about Linux and Windows. My point is to try and prove to you that Linux is better than Windows."

Not Bad, three key points(infrastructure, security, reliability) but then theres "other things about Linux " - what exactly is that supposed to mean?

Next we see your history of Linux:

"Let’s take a look at the past of Linux and Windows. “It was 1991, and the ruthless agonies of the cold war was gradually coming to an end. There was an air of peace and tranquility that prevailed in the horizon. In the field of computing, a great future seemed to be in the offing, as powerful hardware pushed the limits of the computers beyond what anyone expected.”(Version of Linux, Ragib.) A young student, Linus Torvalds at Computer Science at the University of Helsinki was a self-taught hacker who was impressed by computers and pushed them to their maximum capabilities. All that lacked was an OS (Operating System). At that time MINIX was an OS for teaching purposes. Also at the same time the GNU Project by Richard Stallman was evolving. That’s how free source software came to life. “But Stallman had a different vision. His idea was that unlike other products, software should be free from restrictions against copying or modification in order to make better and efficient computer programs.” (History of Linux, Ragib.) Linus Torvalds at that time started a hobby OS called Linux. He sent out an electronic mail to the GNU Project telling them about his little project. The first Linux version was release in September. Version 0.01 came out and was released onto the net. Programmers around the world downloaded the code, studied and tweaked it and sent it back to Linus, shortly after that version 0.02 came out and so on." <--- And so on?
    clarify
    Not a bad little history although depending on your teacher you may want to clarify some of the things you talk about aka GNU,MINIX,(Who's this Stallman guy exactly?? )

Next your history of Windows:
    "About 10 years earlier, IBM hired Bill Gates to make an OS for their new PC. But he did not write the OS; he bought it from a Seattle hacker for 50,000 dollars. Bill Gates was a brilliant businessman but no programmer. He still had the marketing rights to MS-DOS, that’s how he made all the money, he sold it to other companies for high prices. "

WHOA!?? First off this is tiny compared to Linux history, second of all do you have any sources?? I mean "from a Seattle hacker" Who? "Bill Gates was a brilliant businessman but no programmer." Source?? "he sold it to other companies for high prices. " LOL "High Prices"?? How much is that?
    "Today Linux has taken over 6% of the computer market. It might no seem much to the compared 94% that Microsoft owns, but every day more and more companies are switching over to Linux, even Microsoft. " Source??
    "After a defacement of Microsoft’s website, they deiced to switch to Linux servers because they’re more secure then their own servers running Windows" Source???
    "Microsoft issued a security alert on March 17 2003 regarding a buffer overflow vulnerability which allows attackers to execute arbitrary code on Windows 2000 machines.” Why is this sentence here?
    "In a year and 4 month period, between August 1999 and January 4th, 2001, 8071 separate web sites were broken into and subsequently defaced. The OS percentages for these defaced sites were as follows: “56.57% (4566 servers) Ran Microsoft Windows NT 7.76% (626 servers) Ran Red Hat Linux 0.42% (34 servers) Ran Linux (ALZZA), 0.31% (25 servers) Ran Linux (Cobalt)” (OS Statistics. Dickerson & Martin)" Where is Winows 2000,95,98,98SE?? Why are diffrent distros counted seperately and why does this only add up to about 65% total??This tells me nothing.
    "I think these numbers prove that Linux is way more secure than Windows." Really?????
    "Linux also started to take over the PC home user desktop world. More and more versions of linux are released for the home users that want to learn how to use Linux. The easier to use Version of Linux are also more secure than Windows." Source????
    "LILO lets you set a separate password for each individual boot image, or menu option" Ok, what does theat mean?
    "Linux is also more powerfull and space consuming than Windows. “ More space consuming? What side are you on?? Source ?????
    "Now to the compability and stability of Linux. “ I thought we were talking about infrastructure, security, reliability from your topic sentence (not counting "other things")
    so was what I just read infrastructure??? Where was I?

Just some food for thought. I'd like to see the paper when you're finished!

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Banned
    WHOA!?? First off this is tiny compared to Linux history, second of all do you have any sources?? I mean "from a Seattle hacker" Who? "Bill Gates was a brilliant businessman but no programmer." Source?? "he sold it to other companies for high prices. " LOL "High Prices"?? How much is that?
    "Today Linux has taken over 6% of the computer market. It might no seem much to the compared 94% that Microsoft owns, but every day more and more companies are switching over to Linux, even Microsoft. " Source??
    The sources are ME. I know those things. I dont know where i read about them, it was along time ago, so i dont have sources. There will be a (Article Title, and last name of author)after every sentence i copied from somewhere else. There will be a works cited page at the end naming the sources. everything else are my words.

"Now to the compability and stability of Linux. “ I thought we were talking about infrastructure, security, reliability from your topic sentence (not counting "other things")
    so was what I just read infrastructure??? Where was I?
    I'll get more to the point in the introduction. The paper is not odne yet, so i'll probaby post it tonight.