Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solid Windows OS?

Solid Windows OS?

Hi there, i've just been reading about hacking on another site, when i thought that if you are a good enough hacker, it wouldn't matter what OS you was on, you could still make it more or less crackerproof couldn't you?

What do any of you think about this, and can you give me any ideas on how this could be possible?

Probably asking this because i'm so broke that i'll probably be using windows for a good while and i'm sure that if i was good enough i could make it pretty stable, or is this just being naive because the source code isn't freely available and this is more or less impossible?

Anyway, it is possible because there's nothing that can't be hacked.
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"

Probably asking this because i'm so broke that i'll probably be using windows for a good while and i'm sure that if i was good enough i could make it pretty stable, or is this just being naive because the source code isn't freely available and this is more or less impossible?
    ...linux, most distros are free or MUCH cheaper than a LEGAL copy of windows...
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

I think if properly configured and updated Windows can be made as secure as any OS can be. you should install all the new security patches and updates from microsoft. install a good firewall and a Adware/Spyware remover update them regularly. always lookout for new patches and updates released by microsoft. no matter how hard you try people will always find a new way to get in you should always be on a lookout at least make their life a little bit harder.

this tut by valhallen Making your (win) PC more private and secure is also very good an informative on this topic

Re: Solid Windows OS?

Do a search on this site. There's a few tutorials on here about securing Windows XP. I have some of them on my home system but not on this laptop.

Another thing is to play with Group Policies (Click START --> run --> type in gpedit.msc and hit enter). Look through the Group Policies in detail because there is a lot of stuff in there that is customizable.

Originally posted here by Eonfire
    Hi there, i've just been reading about hacking on another site, when i thought that if you are a good enough hacker, it wouldn't matter what OS you was on, you could still make it more or less crackerproof couldn't you?

What do any of you think about this, and can you give me any ideas on how this could be possible?

Anyway, it is possible because there's nothing that can't be hacked.

Well the thing is i'm on windowsme OS which is known to be even more unstable, but i was thinking that if i was a hacker with a few years of experience i would be able to make it a lot more stable and then eventually as more years passed make it as stable as any OS there is. I know for a fact that i wouldn't need to do this because i'd be using Linux/UNIX anyway, but just for the fun of it i'm sure it would be possible.

I've got a blackICE firewall that has it's own IDS and an AVG virus scanner but i don't feel secure at all because of the fact that i'm using windows, but as i said, if i was experienced i'd maybe use routers/sandboxes and my own programs written in C/C++ that i could add to the OS, but this is all theory because : a) i don't know what a router is b) only have a very vague concept of what a sanbox does, and c) i don't know if programs written using C/C++ that i also have no knowledge of would be able to do much to an OS that i didn't have the source code for.
    \"What is is not, what is not is - - if this is not yet clear to you, you\'re still far from the truth.\"

Hi,

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=243892

This is the "must have tools" sticky thread in the "miscellaneous security discussions" forum.

Browse through it for tools and applications that complement your traditional AV and firewall apps.

You must appreciate that WinME is a member of the 9x family of domestic OSes and does not have the inherent security features of the commercial NT systems.

If you add some additional applications, it can be made pretty secure, provided that you can prevent physical access.

Good luck

Okay. Here is my little addition.

#1. Windows, as any security proffessional would know, is just as stable as any other OS out there as long as it is kept updated. I.E. Windows Update, Driver updates, etc, etc.

#2. A router simply takes one internet connection, and shares it with other computers located nearby, thus creating a network. Using a router is not a way of making your system, 'more secure' though it certainly can be. I.E. It is not a security tool or anything like that. Google 'linksys' or 'dlink'.

#3. BlackICE Defender is not all that great in my opinion. I would reccomend you download Sygate or ZoneAlarm.

#4. For a virus scanner, I would go with Norton AV '04. But seeing as you are nearly broke, you could try Avast, which isn't all that bad.

#5. For a trojan scanner, which you should also get, try Moosoft's The Cleaner. This works VERY well.

#6. For General programs and applications, i.e. firewalls, scanners, etc, etc Check Download.com as this website includes many editorial reviews and a rating system.

#7. *NIX and it's many derivites are FREE, and OPEN SOURCE. You don't have to pay a thing!
    You should look into Mandrake-Linux, Red Hat, FreeBSD, and MANY MANY others. ML is VERY easy to install (Easier than Windows in my opinion!). Red-hat same thing. BSD could be a pain if you have no computer knowledge within you.

#8. I personally use FreeBSD and Windows 2000. I agree with you that WindowsME is not that stable and there are many security exploits with it. However, following the above should have you protected from most things. It'll keep the skiddies out at least. If you feel insecure download and use one of the OS's in #7. They are very stable, they are proffesional, they are free.

This has been my little advice. Use it/dont use it...its all the same to me.
    MySig != Worth your time

OK thanks again for the advice, i'll definately be coming back to this thread again. I would download linux but i'm on dail-up and i'm using an eTEC USB ADSL modem and aren't sure if this is compatible with linux?

Also, this was more of a theoretic, general question that i was curious about but i've got some good advice here so i'm glad i forgot to mention that.

Oh yeah spydrpop i like your sig!

Eonfire,

Only a person who really understands an OS can make it secure. If you don't understand *nix don't kid yourself/be kidded that it is more secure.................it most certainly won't be.

Cheers

Yeah thanks for reminding me nihil, i was just reading one of the threads that are similar to this one and read someone saying that it's not so much the OS as it is the person using it.