Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fortress

Fortress

My school uses Fortress. Google it if you don't know what this is. Me, being an adventurous person, decided to play around. To completely bypass the system, just hit CNTRL + ESC. (This was tested on Win 9x only, may work for nt/me/2k/xp, not sure)

This will come up with the password input screen. I don't think I'm allowed to elaborate.

*Most school computers DO allow access to the A:\ drive. So does fortress. Thats just a little...erm...hint.
    MySig != Worth your time

well heres a hint for you. if you'd like to warn us of a vulnerability you've found fine thats what this site is about. if you want to help high school brats torment their school this isn't the place to do it. just some friendly advice.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Sorry I dont really see the poin to this post. Unless it is only to say what a great guy you are.
    just for an example : I dont kow what fortress is so i googled for it as you said. So which Fortress are talking about? There are many answers possiable!

I think you should either edit your post if it is not too late and do something usefull with it or else just delete it. There are many other posts that explain the guidelines for posting in antionline. They should help you to structure you post so it is something usefull to the community and not just a look at me post.
    Tedob1 friendly advice is well worth taking.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

After dealing with Fortress and physical case locks, unplugging floppy drives and cdroms, and other measures, due to dealing with little pissants like you, all I have to say is I hope your school has a nice policy in place so when they catch you, a nice expulsion will soon follow your eventual capture. At least thats how we dealt with punks with no respect for rules and regulations regarding computer use. Sorry this is so harsh, but your post is nothing but bragging how you broke the rules. My advice? Grow up. Have a neg day.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Ya, when i was in highschool the computers had fortress installed . From what i remember, all you had to do was know how to make a boot floppy to disable it. Not exactly the most complicated thing but i'm sure they fixed that glitch from like 1997. Anyhow, my point is i only did this once in front of an admin with his permission. This way i couldnt get in trouble, and if somehow something went wrong i wasnt going to get in much more trouble than having to fix it for him.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

fortress

I'm a systems director at a local high school. We recently removed fortress because it was interfering with applications and the network. The software is crap, and we ended up removing it from our 700 station network. There is a easier method in disabling it. Open up autoexec.bat into notepad and edit the fortress line, save and reboot. Another thing, your school is retarded to keep using that software. We just got rid of novell and switched to Active Directory, and the roll over was so much easier and it's a lot cheaper running it too. The security with active directory is amazing, you can go into every detail with it(disabling right click, display properties, etc) So if I were you, I'd go to the school a suggest the idea. Maybe you will land yourself a job.

The admin wasnt doing his job then... unplug the floppys or install floppy locks.
    Remember -

Calm Down Avenger,

When I was in High-School the most common source of media was floppy, but then again I'm sure they are using CD-R's now and you can still make a CD-R bootable. Which means, the real solution would to set a BIOS password and make the Boot Configuration to boot from HARD DISK and disable boot from Floppy or CD.

The machines I was talking about were under a different ruleset, apparently. The bottom line here is rules are made for a reason. If fortress is installed, that means they are trying to stop people from monkeying with a machine. That does not make it right nor does the media type used to break the rules matter. Rules are rules. Infractions are Infractions. There is no acceptable excuse. And calm down? Heh, Im perfectly calm. When it comes to this, Im blunt because I have had to work so hard to fight little punks who cant stand to be governed.
    Do I come across as harsh? Probably. But deal with it on the level I have, and youll have a short amount of patience with someone bragging about defeating the same security.
    *shrug* Im not agitated or angry or any of that... I just dont care to see someone obviously juvinile bragging about his little cracks...
    Remember -

Re: fortress

Originally posted here by anonymity890
    I'm a systems director at a local high school. We recently removed fortress because it was interfering with applications and the network. The software is crap, and we ended up removing it from our 700 station network. There is a easier method in disabling it. Open up autoexec.bat into notepad and edit the fortress line, save and reboot. Another thing, your school is retarded to keep using that software. We just got rid of novell and switched to Active Directory, and the roll over was so much easier and it's a lot cheaper running it too. The security with active directory is amazing, you can go into every detail with it(disabling right click, display properties, etc) So if I were you, I'd go to the school a suggest the idea. Maybe you will land yourself a job.
    *shrug* fortress wasnt my idea, but was the first to go when I assumed the security of these systems. Not that it matters but the next lockdown was all NT based.
    that with the physical security solved the problem.

But all this is off topic. the topic here was taking down fortress, how to.
    Dont belong in a security site - as stated earlier not a vuln or warning, just a look what I can do and how I do it...
    Remember -