Thread: I.p.

I.p.

What can you do with an I.P.?
    Can you really do anything? If you can't what is the purpose of pinging?

Well what exactly are you trying to do with an IP?
    If you give more details, maybe we might be able to help you, but thus until then i could only recommend that maybe go and read a few Tutorials front the Tutorials section, there should be something there that WILL help you.

cheers
    .:front2back:.

I'm not trying to do anything because I don't know what you can do with an IP.
    All I know is that you can ping a site and get an IP. I was wondering what you can do with it. I'll try the tutorial.

Banned
    Sorry no time to explain it much. But think of an IP as an home address. And the house is the computer. What can you do with someones home address.? Know where they live, break into the house, get their names etc.....

You have some reading to do...
    http://av.stanford.edu/books/tcpip/
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Thanks for that link phishphreek80 that helps.

PhishPhreeks Link probably explained everything that you need and more, but since I am on a Ungodly slow connection right now (/me cries for his Cable back), I am going to give you a little explanation on what can be done with an IP.

Memory explained correctly what an IP is, what you can do with an IP is far and yet far between.

Let's say, I want to be an *******, and I want to try to do something wrong to your Computer. Well, I can't just send the code that I am using to random people hoping that one of the Billions of people might be you. I need your Address your IP, now with your IP, I can do a little bit of check up on you. I can run a port scanner and see what ports you have open. (Hopefully not many.) At this point, I know what you are running I know where you are at, this is where I think your question is answered so I will quit.

Can you really do anything? If you can't what is the purpose of pinging?
    Check out this site- http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/p/ping.htm