Thread: Giving more GB to other drive

Giving more GB to other drive

Hi, i just recently had to reload XP and all that stuff. when i partitioned my drives, it wouldnt allow me to give more memory to my c drive. so now i have like 77 GB on my e drive. is there a way without reloading XP and all the hardware, to give some GB to the c drive ?
    Yo, you guys need my help, I need
    your help. Share and Give !

If the XP install would not let you make the drive very large, you most likely had it partition it as a FAT partition. I think there is still a limitation for the system drive being on a FAT partition.

Anyway, there are several options available to resize your partition. Partition Magic would be the best, but it is a commercial software package. You could also change the disks to dynamic disks and mount the larger partition onto the C drive. Microsoft also has a utility called diskpart that allows you to resize partitons that I think might be in one of the resource kits. With any of the above, I would convert to NTFS first if it is in fact a FAT partition.

I think that you have a point there Jimmy, as I recall the old NT would only support about 2Gb or so on the "C" partition?...............looks like he has an "80GB" HDD?

I am wondering if he used the disk utilities from his HDD manufacturer he might have better luck, or try a format of the whole drive, load the OS, then partition afterwards?

Cheers

AO French Antique News Whore
    When hard drive manufucter said 80 Go, they mean 80 000 000 KB. They think 1 Mg = 1000 KB and 1 GO is 1000 Mg when the true is 1 Mg = 1024 KB and 1 GO is 1024 Mg.

So the math and a 80GO realy turn into being a 77GO.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

You are quite right with the math and 1024 v 1000, but he says he has 77Gb in his "E" drive (so what is using "D".......?)

OK Shaolin2010 because several of us are thousands of miles away, could you tell us what drive letters you have, what devices they are, and in the case of HDD partitions, how big they are?

Cheers