Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: weird, weird, weird problem w/ DSL (help pls)

weird, weird, weird problem w/ DSL (help pls)

I have recently switched from Cable to DSL. I have 2 systems which are connected to a Netgear router, which is conected to the DSL modem. The DSL modem has (I think) a built-in router w/ DHCP server. You never need to dial-out from the computer. Everthing started when I tried to log into my hotmail account. I can go to hotmail.com but when i try to log in the page times out and I get the 404. When I connect one of the computers directly to the DSL modem I can log in just fine. This would indicate that the Net gear router is the problem but I used the same router w/ my Cable w/out any problems. To my suprise when I tried to make this post yesterday, i realized that when i submited it I got a timeout or 404. Somehow, I cannot use certain CGI if I connect through the router. AO is PHP. Hotmail (I think) is ASP. The funny thing is that I can use my blackcode.com e-mail account.

So what do you guys think. I don't have any software firewalls. What can be blocking this. How can I browse the net but not be able to use CGI. I made this post by connecting directly to the DSL modem, but I cannot have Internt access for 1 system at a time. Help pls.

Do you have that problem with all your computers? Maybe SSL or something is disabled in your browser settings?

EDIT: if you can only plug one computer at a time in that DSL modem it's not a router.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Just Another Geek
    Are you sure you are getting 404? A 404 is always generated server side and means the server can't find the file you requested. Maybe something is mangling your http requests?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

yes all computers...

but what does SSL have to do w/ posting on AO

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Slap up a packet sniffer like tcpdump and check the traffic between your netgear and the router when trying to visit pages. It sounds like there may be a firewall configuration issue or port forwarding issue. Which NetGear router is this? and what OS is on each system? And which system did you directly connect to the DSL modem?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

everytime this happens i have to wait & wait and then 404... page wasn't found

Ok. but we can't help you without more details. So please.. share.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

win 2000 on both systems
    doesn't matter which system you connect directly... i will go through
    i though about port forwarding too but which port would it be...

i wouldn't know how to read tcpdump results...

So use Ethereal. (it's a graphical packet sniffer). You'd be looking for packets going to port 80 and/or port 443 and responses to those packets. You can always fire up the packet sniffer, try a connection to hotmail and attempted login, stop the packet sniffer and then post the results here..

netgear rp614v2 - router
    westell model 2200 - DSL modem