Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blank email "spam"?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

Blank email "spam"?

I have a student who I was talking with via ICQ. He was telling me that his Yahoo email account was getting filled with lots of emails from a variety of sources (email and ip varies) that are simply blank emails. (nothing in the contents).

Today on Full Disclosure, a member posted an email saying he was getting the same thing but to a regular "non-free" email account. Is anyone else seeing this?

I'm guessing it's one of two things: 1) email list trying to determine if an account is live by getting a response from the receiver 2) worm that has some poor coding and is missing the payload.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes, but most of the ones I am getting are from Yahoo accounts.

Hi MsM,

I would go for #2, or perhaps #2.a which is a badly coded spam engine. I have seen hotmail accounts completely filled by these .............like 30,000 copies of some reduce your loan interest scheme............only available in Canada and the US..........no wonder people love spammers

Cheers

Anything in the subject lines MsM, or are they blank a well?

Cheers:
    DjM

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Subject and body are blank. Which is what is so weird about it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

You know, nihil might be on to something here. This could be a spammer ( or want-a-be spammer ) using a poorly setup/configured spam program/bot. Instead of firing out his/her advert's for Virgra, out comes a blank e-mail. Would this be antispam?

Cheers:
    DjM

I got three of them from differenct sources. I thought it was poor coding.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

LB the 3 you got, were they at the same time?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I've been getting this at a free account (spam trap) for a while now.

My pay accounts have not been getting it, but then again they don't get much spam in the first place

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Yeah I've been seeing those emails for probably about two months now. They are going to my Adelphia email account, I've seen maybe one or two on my Yahoo!. Blank To, Blank From, Blank Subject, and Blank body. I didn't think anything of it until I just got my desktop running (been waiting for a new board for the past 3 weeks) and had like 10 of them sitting in my inbox.

And the funny thing is I wouldn't care, I would just have them automatically sent to the junk sender’s folder... except for the fact that Outlook can't distinguish that letter from any others. It's weird...

Just thought I would add my thoughts...
    ~AciD
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]