Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why broadband over power lines is a bad idea

Why broadband over power lines is a bad idea

http://reviews-zdnet.com.com/AnchorD...6-5123406.html
    nce last we visited the issue of transmitting the Internet over power lines (the big electric company kind, not the wires in your walls), the Federal Communications Commission, lapdog to the monied interests, has issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking (NPRM), the second step in making broadband over power lines (BPL) a reality.

Use your home's
    power lines

If you want to make a broadband Net connection available in every corner of your home, our editors recommend a power-line access point like this one from Siemens.

Siemens SpeedStream Powerline 802.11b Wireless Access Point

In a rare moment of governmental clarity, an NPRM is precisely what it seems to be: Advance notice of how the FCC is going to give zillionaires what they want at the expense of us ordinary folks. The NPRM follows a Notice of Inquiry that was issued last April and generated more than 5,000 comments, many from angry ham radio operators.

HERE'S THE DEAL: BPL is a technology that uses radio waves, transmitted over power lines, to provide broadband Internet or other data connectivity. The problem with BPL is simple physics: Radio waves like to fly off into space. When they do, interference results. In order to get broadband speeds, BPL uses a large number of frequencies, some of which are capable of traveling literally around the world even on the small transmitter power that BPL systems use.

BPL would operate as an unlicensed radio service under Part 15 of the FCC's rules. This is the same section that allows most of the unlicensed devices used in home and business. All of these devices are supposed to operate in such a way that they don't interfere with licensed radio services.

Among the leaders in the fight against BPL is the amateur radio community. Ham radio operators, including myself, see BPL as a potentially huge source of communications-disrupting interference. The hams have found an ally in the National Telecommunications and Information Administration (NTIA), the Commerce Department agency charged with coordinating the federal government's own radio systems.

The NTIA has warned the FCC that, unless it's carefully regulated, BPL could cause significant interference to government users of shortwave radio frequencies. The NTIA is conducting its own BPL study, though it has not yet been released. Another study, by ARRL, the national organization for amateur radio, is also due to be released in the next few weeks to months.

WHY SHOULD YOU CARE about all this? Because BPL could have a negative impact on the entire world of radio communication. Remember what I said earlier about the radio waves flying off into space? Even the low-power signals BPL would employ can, under the right conditions, travel around the globe. That means BPL systems in the United States could cause interference in places far removed from whatever benefit BPL is supposed to provide.

Interference is pollution and, once it starts, can prove impossible to stop. If not properly managed, BPL has the potential to ruin large portions of the shortwave radio spectrum. Like old-growth forests, radio spectrum is precious and for much the same reason: They just aren't making any more of it. What we have needs to be wisely managed for the greatest public benefit.

BPL needs to be watched carefully to make sure a technology we don't really need--isn't there enough broadband out there already?--doesn't cause problems we'll never be able to resolve.

If you're interested in this issue, please read some of the documents available and make your feelings known to the FCC.
    I believe that this is very true, I didn't get the point of having broadband over power lines anyway, well you could say it's alot cheaper as they don't have to put lines anymore everywhere. But telephone lines (for DSL) and cable is very widely spread already so why replace it by something else (if it's not faster)
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Well I think if its regulated carefully enough it will be ok.

You see BPL, will makes broadband available to people like me that live out in the country to far away from cities.

Besides, this should bring down prices on DSL and cable.
    =

You can assign an IP address to every outlet in your house. I can remotely turn off my toaster, or start my coffe from miles away...how freaking cool is that!
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

I see where you are coming from, el. Sure, to some it may seem like cheaper prices and to others, the sheer conviencence will be staggering to them.

But to those who's interests lie not within a computer box. To those who live for airwave communications in the same way you and I live for computers.... they will be hindered beyond belief. Imagine if suddenly they decided to combine your cable/DSL line with the water system. It would be cheaper, and they would somehow figure out a way emit transmissions via water. However... your DSL would be scrambled far too often by the imact of the water now being an essential part of your line.

That same *forced* technology is going to impact Radio Amatures, and other electronic devices that are regulated by the FCC. In short, this could impact many major peices of equipment because they FCC can be paid to overlook the inconvience it causes others.

This is very much like the Jew/Hitler combination. You don't kill off a million people just because their presence is not convient for your race. And thus you certainly do not eliminate the very space other ethusiasts use in their day to day lives because it is convienient(too tired to spell properly) and profitable to a larger company.

Old Fart
    Sorry guys, but when I look at my brother-in-law who CAN'T get DSL because "not enough customers in his area have expressed interest" I can't help but see power line broadband as a good idea. People who live in rural areas CANNOT get broadband (or cable for that matter) because the implementation is not economically feasable according to the providers....which leaves satellite as the only available option. 4 words for that option...TOO EXPENSIVE and LATENCY SUCKS!

Think about it...how would you feel if you lived 10 miles out of town and your ONLY option was DIAL-UP???
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

allenb, did you even read what this will do to other people who have other hobbies?

I'm sure the FCC can come up with a way to fix this problem but I agree with allen.

I can't get high speed internet cause theres not enough people who want it in my area. Like he said I could get satelite, but the latency ranges from 800 - 3400 Far worse than a 56k line.
    =

Just wondering would somethine like FFTH work for people who live out in the country ?

Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

I can't get over you people. You want to step on other people's toes and ruin a hobby they enjoy, just because you feel your hobby is more important?

That's disgusting.

I'm not trying to step on anyones toes pooh. But I'll be damned if I can't get broadband internet cause a radio station is gonna become more unclear, and theres not enough people in my area for the phone company to extend their service.

Do you know how much it sucks to have to wait 2 hours for a 25MB file? Can't play any online games either cause the lag is so bad.

besides, like I said earlier the FCC will do something to make the amateur radio people happy.
    =