Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP! I think someone is trying to get into my computer.

Exclamation HELP! I think someone is trying to get into my computer.

How can I tell if someone is hacking my computer? This is a person that I know and lives in the same town as me. I have my own message board and this person is a member of it, so I was able to jot down a few of their IP addresses that are logged on the board.
    The guy that hosts my website has proof that this person has hacked a mutal friends home computer, so I think they are trying to get into mine too, along with my moms computer.

I have the McAfee Personal Firewall and it has logged numerous ICMP Pings and some other events such as, World Wide Web HTTP, Port 3127 (TCP), DCE endpoint resolution, Microsoft-DS, etc...

Here are some of the entries on my Firewall log:
    2004/02/28 19:16:31 172.192.12.223:3602 (ACC00CDF.ipt.aol.com) 172.192.144.251:80 World Wide Web HTTP

2004/02/28 19:35:16 172.192.58.225:4258 (ACC03AE1.ipt.aol.com) 172.192.144.251:80 World Wide Web HTTP

2004/02/28 19:33:54 172.192.58.225:1892 (ACC03AE1.ipt.aol.com) 172.192.144.251:80 World Wide Web HTTP

2004/02/28 19:16:31 172.192.12.223:3602 (ACC00CDF.ipt.aol.com) 172.192.144.251:80 World Wide Web HTTP

2004/02/28 18:59:39 172.192.95.29:2113 (ACC05F1D.ipt.aol.com) 172.192.144.251:80 World Wide Web HTTP

2004/02/28 07:47:14 172.132.174.110:0 (AC84AE6E.ipt.aol.com) 172.135.139.208:0 ICMP Ping

Here are a some of their IP's from my board:

Today: 172.199.1.170
    Yesterday: 172.195.13.45
    2/25: 172.197.99.169
    2/24: 172.192.96.180
    2/21: 172.194.43.156

I have no idea how to prove its this person or find out what they know, I am at a loss...
    Any info would be truley appreciated!

April

do a whois (in windows) get to you command prompt then type in: tracert x.x.x.x (ip numbers)

Antionline Herpetologist
    Don't even bother with stuff like pings and attempts to access port 80. These things are just 14 year olds trying to be smart.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

first of all get your ip adress off the board.

if you get these requests when you first sign on its because you've been assigned an ip address of someone who has recently signed off and was sharing files on the kazaa network which uses port 80.

if not it could be one of the code red victims still out there or just some kid scanning for a victim or just plain scanning. scanning isnt against the law you know.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I need to know if these pings are coming from the person that I know... is there a way to find out?

I am really new to this stuff.... What do you mean by get your ip address of the board?
    I can see the member's IP addresses because I am the Admin. no one else can see my ip or anyone else's unless they are admin.

do you keep updated anti virus software on your computer? in order for someone to know YOUR ip address it either has to be sent to then by a trojan of some sorts, exchange a file with them or have it posted on a bbs like you just did :-) same goes for theirs
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

im sorry i meant to type "off" the board. your the admin of AOL? your confusing me.

aol uses dynamic ip addresses. every time you or anyone else signs on their assigned a differant address with no information given as to who has what address

OK mate try this:

/ME...no more Mr niceguy mode

Post this on your message board:

"WARNING this site has a ZERO tolerance of uber 1337 Hax0rs and other internet scum. All activities on this site WILL be monitored, and anyone suspected of illegal activity reported to the relevant authorities.

To Report Internet Crime:

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/reporting.htm

Remember, these people are criminals...............it is YOUR civic duty"

That should liven him up a bit

Maybe a bit later ask him how his dad would react to being woken at 3am by the foresight of a Glock 9mm tickling his tonsils?.............as well as all computer equipment impounded for months, if not forever?

/Back to Mr niceguy

He might just get the message?.........like you are only 1337 until you get caught, then you are a *******?

Good luck....follow the other good advice, but I read this as one who needs to be scared off?

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    im sorry i meant to type "off" the board. your the admin of AOL? your confusing me.

Sorry about that. I have my own website, which has a message board, I can see the IP numbers of people that post.

The person that I suspect is trying to crack/hack my computer is a person I know. I need to get proof that this person is trying to do this so I can confront her with the solid proof.

The guy that owns the web hosting company I go thru already has proof that she has hacked into a mutual friends computer. I only assume that she is trying to get into mine to read my emails and instant messages and whatever else she can get her grubby hands on.

This person is not a child she is 27 years old. She has some major issues and is a total back-stabber. I need to gather proof that she has or is trying to get into my computer. So, far all I have are the entries in my firewall log (a few are posted in the first post of this thread). I really don't know how ip numbers work so I am having a hard time confirming that she is doing this to me. I have been having a lot of the same problems as the other friend we know she hacked.

I was able to gather several of the ip numbers that she had from my board and try to compare them to the ip's that are pinging me. I also listed those in the first thread.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Just because she's pinging you don't mean she's attacking you unless the pings are so volumnious that you cannot access the internet. That said, what OS do you use? Certain OSes have the ability to log and track changes on machines. And really, you have no proof it is her/him. Because of AOLs size, this could be anyone.

You may also want to go through the logs of your board. This can usually indicate issues or violations. If you work with your admin, you should be able to gather information that will prove it one way or another.

The guy that owns the web hosting company I go thru already has proof that she has hacked into a mutual friends computer
    Then this should be reported to the police. Unless I'm mistaken, the laws haven't changed and breaking into some's computer is still against the law.

I only assume that she is trying to get into mine to read my emails and instant messages and whatever else she can get her grubby hands on.

This person is not a child she is 27 years old. She has some major issues and is a total back-stabber.
    You know, this sounds childish. If you are serious about dealing with this, then honestly, act serious about it. Whatever issues happened in the past should remain there. Otherwise, it may look like a vendetta (attempting to prove someone did something wrong based on assumption and anger when they didn't do anything).

Try to remember that a person is innocent until proven guilty, not guilty until proven innocent. Right now, based on what you have presented, nothing wrong is happening. Until there has been an attempt to by-pass your firewall and data access, it's all legal.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage