Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No Security Plzz Help

No Security Plzz Help

hey guys im really haveing a big problem. EVERYTHING ON MY NORTAN INTERNET SECURITY AND ANTIVIRES 2003 IS DISABLED!!!! i cant turn it on i dont know wtf is going on. the status says urgent attention. plzz help guys also i cant uninstall it or if i click options nortan internet security it says only supervisiors can view/change the options and when i click block traffic it says Restricted accounts are not allowed to Block or Allow traffic. post if u need more info...
    Signature image is too wide!
    Signature image is too tall!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Try booting into safe mode and try turning it on and running it then. If you still have problems, perhaps a re-install? What was the last thing you did before you noticed you couldn't turn on your AV software?

Uh.. are you using the Admin account? Have you tried logging out and then in as Admin and enabling it so that regular users either have access or setting it so that everything at least runs?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

the last thing i noticed was it did a live update for viruses

I am afraid I do not know what is going on nor how to solve it, but I want this to be an example to others who read this post.

Far too many times have I seen Norton fail. From Antivirus in which so many viruses use encapsulated code specifically built to disable NAV, to Norton Firewall, which once again too many packets can simply be fragmented to by pass it. Across the board, and through the clients I 've worke for.... it's dangerous to trust in it.

I am afraid I don't know what to tell you, as I only used it for a few weeks. I suggest doing the usual:

1. http://housecall.antivirus.com - scan for viruses using a free, kick ass online virus scanner
    2. http://www.google.com - search for "spybot search and destroy" - Run a spyware check on your computer

well i scanned with every single anti virus i got (avg 6.0, Norten Antivirus 2003, Houscall) all kinds of ad ware blocks and anit viruse scanners AND NOTHING WAS FOUND. the thing is going nuts, it wont let me do anything (such as turning it on all i can realy do is scan for viruses)

if norten never works whats another solution for a better firewall?

NIS 2003 gave me numerous networking problems until I finally ditched it. I don't remember, but I believe norton itself asks whether you want to password protect some of its functions, so I don't know whether or not logging in as an admin in windows will matter; you might have to start norton itself as a privelaged user (password-prompted, maybe??)
    Anyway, there are lots of threads on the topic for free firewalls and av. Currently, I use avg for av and sygate for my fw. I have found the sygate to be configurable enough for me, and it has given me no problems (unlike norton) and avg updates almost daily, and very quickly when responding to new threats.

you coould always get a linksys or a netopia... linksys is cheap enough...
    http://www.linksys.com/Products/prod...id=29&prid=561
    Using NAT is a good way to close up ports
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

i have a linkys router and i did not password it and i thinck it was some of the ports that was enabled. im trying to get an very good firewall with not cost. Any one know???!?

is you can post a list of all the processes running on your computer

Try downloading pskill, pslist and fport:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pskill.shtml

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/pslist.shtml

www.foundstone.com/knowledge/proddesc/fport.html

from a cmd prompt do: pslist -t >ps.txt then post whats on ps.txt

Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

a fire wall is good try agnitum outpost but first reset your router to the default configuration and password protect it using a strong password of upper and lower case letters, numbers and special characters (_~$) and fix your problem then install the firewall.

many av killers also kill personal firewalls
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”