Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ad-aware vs Spybot S&D

CXGJarrod thanks for point out the screen shoot. i hope i never run accross one that bad. ive seen some that approach it but not quite.

almost forgot the topic. in recommending one or the other i prefer adaware but recommend spybot s&d because the free version has a reg protector where it is only available in the full version of adaware
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

BANNED
    I prefer spybot. I have a low end machine and everytime I would use ad-aware it would find all the problems, but I would have to take like ten things off at a time or my computer would lock up. spybot got rid of everything in one shot no problems at all.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Muert0,

I would suggest running in safe mode, particularly on low end machines.

Also look at SwatIT!................takes a long time to run, but finds stuff the others don't

I think that these "either ,or" type discussions are rather like Windows vs *nix..........pretty inconclusive and rather futile?...........and it is freeware in the main?

I discussed the matter with my virus writing tomcat earlier (some of you may remember him?)

I attach his enthusiastic response

Cheers

I tested pest patrol over spybot search and destroy and adaware

Pest patrol is better than both of the programsi tried .you'll see what I meen try it its the best

so I recommend you use pest patrol and spybot search and detroy

Hi,
    something for folks that are new to all of this,
    just got done checking out the screenshots above, and it brought back some great memories.
    I suppose that getting my browser hijacked is what got me to learn as much as possible
    about IT, problem is, you figure one thing out, there is a zillion more things to learn.

I'll be busy for a few centuries now. Anyway, I use AdAware and SpyBot together, they really do work well together, but I'd like to reccommend one more app, "SpywareBlaster".
    It seems to fill in a gap that the first two apps miss, like blocking the 'Ave. A' cookie.
    Between the trio I have not experienced a single problem. Adding my software firewall and Vscan app, I feel that I have a solid defense. (Patches included).
    It did take some time learning how to configure the firewall, with all the various apps and programs wanting to call "home". Plus I have two NICs, so once in a while I get alarms from the promiscuous NIC, which doesn't see the Internet and is their only for testing a lab set-up.

So, in essence I just want say that it is not good enough to just install these tools. You have to get to know them, play with them and tweak a little. Also, don't forget the settings you can tweak, or rather choose, in your browser, like ActiveX and scripting.
    Am I completely safe? No, probably not. Neither do I want to build such a wall, that I can't get out myself. Gotta play and surf....

g8way2u

PS. update, update, update....

Kwiep
    I use ad-aware because if I tell my friends I use something that's called "spybot search and destroy" they think I'm playing an old and childish alien robot bashing game.
    Double Dutch