Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: virus writing!!!!

Hi to all!
    Well i was said that linux does not have any virus because of its architecture...now i read these posts and googled and found out that there are viruses...what exactly is happening? And are there antiviruses for linux too??? (sorry this may sound funny but i thought that suse wont need another stupid norton antivirus!!!) Do the viruses concern only web apps or every home user should have antiviruses? And do the viruses work the same way as in windows?
    Is that the place where I am supposed to say sth clever and brilliant so that everybody understands how clever nice guy I am????
    Screw you guys I am going home!-Kartman

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Yes there are antivirus for linux. Use google again to find them. AFAIK, there are only about 5-6 viruses out there for linux so the chance for infection is low. The whole time I used my Mac I never got a virus and Mac has a higher number of Viruses than Linux does. So it's a personal choice to install an AV on home linux machine. Some people I know install AVs on Linux because windows traffic passes through them (say a mail server).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi tyfon,

http://www.bitdefender.com/

Free Linux AV...............also some other interesting free security utilities, removal tools etc.

If you really want to spend money, just buy me beer

Cheers

EDIT: See MsM's comment below.........on the left hand side of the front page, click on downloads, and you will get a drop down menu that takes you to the free and beta stuff.
    Sorry about that folks, they must have changed the site layout recently

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Uhhh.. Nihil, where is it free? I've just checked and everything has a little $$$ beside it.

[/edit] Nevermind.. found it... boy, they don't want you to see it right away, eh?

http://www.bitdefender.com/bd/site/d...php?menu_id=21
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks MsM,

That'll teach me to check my links The site layout has changed recently. The outfit seem very genuine though, as they have been providing free stuff for some years now.

Thanks again.

I was suprised that no one pulled out the line that a majority of Mac viruses attack Microsoft Products running on a mac. I myself like variety, and the challenge of keeping my products secure and up to date.

On the other hand, I agree with everyone else in here on the fact that the reason Microsoft is targeted the most is because it is the most commonly used.

re: Moxnix

thanks for the spelling correction - for some reason my custom dictionary had the incorrect spelling loaded - i probably saved it a while ago that way - and I didn't catch it until now (i save all of my responses in word for future reference).

As far as the definition qoute, I'm confused...what was the point of posting it?
    Ego is the great Logic killer

Yep thats pretty much what I had thought as well , One thing I can't figure out is why can't I find stores that sell mac goodies to build your own box?
    Like motherboards,ram,cpu I mean everything...Becuase there are a chain of stores in michigan called "computer builders wharehouse" and its all pc which is cool because there pricing is awsome.But I want to build my own mac cheaply!!!

The cheapest I have found on the net that are was www.tcwo.com

anyhelp on mac goodies would greatly appreciated....thanks for reading and responding all

But I want to build my own mac cheaply!!!
    So do all the skiddies, but they can't.....so they can't get their scabby little hands on them.....so they can't write viruses for them?

Or more to the point, the slightly more intelligent of the species, that can get hold of a Mac, cannot find skiddies to peddle their rubbish, so they don't bother, so there are few recent Mac viruses, other than those than run on Win compatible software?

It's a harsh world?

Hey, why not get yourself a nice IBM AS/400.........you would be impregnable(ish)

My point is that if you buy something exotic and expensive you are pretty safe. The general rubbish won't work, and if anything does you WILL get the full attention of the forces of darkness, because you 99% certainly know the attacker, and you will help keep their strike rate up? (Cops work that way...trust me)

I also stongly suspect that the people who know what they are doing when writing malware, are fully aware of this fact, and would rater be a faster member of a herd, than out on their own?

Cheers

I know ,I just wanted one for fun