Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sound or Tone as Password/Key???

Originally posted here by Soda_Popinsky
    my dad had one of these, avenger_jcc- He types in a password on the card, and the card spits out a generated password back. Pretty cool stuff, even if you lose the card you still need the password.

http://www.rsasecurity.com/products/...are_token.html

Anyone remember the end of richie rich, where they go into a musical number to open the family vault?

I knew the fat kid in Richie Rich growing up. Hes the one that breaks the gumball machine.
    That is the system Im seeing. old or not, slick as hell...
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

there was a speical on security test that the NSA was doing ( I think it was on Descovery) about dual software one used face reconnition and the other used thermographics. To see if it could be bypassed before someone found the person.
    I have 315 relays and 118 switches and have all the power of a calculator.

BANNED
    Heres a little usb key that requires the key and a password:
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/5cd6/
    But the randomly generated key sounds really cool. And I guess the usb one would be kinda pointless in a work environment unless you have usb ports on the front of the computer. this page has a couple of other cool things though: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Does anyone know of a way to turn a normal USB flash drive into a security key? I've already got a flash drive and don't want to fork over $130 bucks for a key like they have @ ThinkGeek.
    Farlander

BANNED
    I'm looking for some kind of software or somethin that does it.
    But, I've found some cheaper ones in the process. Heres a cool one that lets you make a portion of your hard drive invisible and inaccessible:
    http://www.kanguru.com/kanguruwizard.html
    oh well these seem pretty common so maybe someone with more experience on the matter can help
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Exclamation

Sound based security is funamentally flawed, as we can replecate voice patterns, however combined with retina, fingerprint or DNA you would have an effective security system.

The main down side is the cost of the system, and how the system would recognize legal users, as the compsarisson files would need to be protected by a cryptographic key similar to RSA, combined with IDS and Firewalls etc

Well I amost feel silly for posting this , I do agree with the above post audio secerity is very weak, however just for fun I downloaded this OLD OLD voice harassment called "**** Talker" I found it in the new copy of Wallace Wangs Updated edition of "Steal This Computer Book 3" page 307. As I said it is used just as a voice harassment tool, however it has so many futures ( ex being a free download ) I used it to copy my "Line of Text" command in XP Add on Voice Security Program ( at CNET.COM ) and used it to fool the log in command about half the time I tried it. As I said this maybe be too silly to try,, but being FREE what ya have to lose! Thank You

muert0: try the A-key there still doing free samples I believe..software prevents you using it for more than 6 months.

Sound is used in cryptography sometimes - they use random sound and radio transmissions to generate random numbers, but thats not what you asked about.

Theres quite a few voice recognition things out there, you can pick them up in the amatuer robotics arena for about £30 now i believe, but voice can always be recorded it can be socially engineered out of someone on a telephone and recorded.

DTMF tones were what you all keep refering to as the Captain crunch thing....(dual tone multi frequencys). There actually used for passwords on answer phones as well, typically 4 value passwords (poor, and most users dont change the default)

i2c

We have a voice authentication system that we use for certain phone based applications. It works very well, and is actually pretty secure. There is a pass phrase that you have to say into the phone and then the system matches your voice against a stored copy of your voice. If they do not match, you are denied access. The software is so sensitive that you have to call in and record your passphrase through any phone that you may use, because the differences in the phone microphone can change characteristics of your voice. So for instance I had to call in from my cell phone, my office phone, and my home phone. I have tried to log in from other phones and been unsuccessful so I don't think it would be real easy to hack this type of system. You would need a very high quality recording of the person saying their passphrase, and you would need to use a similiar phone as what they used when their passphrase was recorded. Persay makes the software. www.persay.com

Even though the system is relatively secure, we don't use this type of biometric authentication for anything that would be considered sensitive. We use RSA SecureID tokens, the cards that generate a number based on their serial number, a seed, and the current time, for VPN authentication.

ATTENTION!!!

Before you post... NOTICE: The original poster has not logged into AO since (Last Online: 03-03-2004 at 07:49 PM).