Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cant Use an improtant folder!!!!!

AntiOnline n00b
    i am not that familiar with Xp though i have WinNT and 2000 box es right now. i just checked the Windows Xp professional documentation it says there should be a security tab

To take ownership of a file or folder

1.Open Windows Explorer, and then locate the file or folder you want to take ownership of.

2.Right-click the file or folder, click Properties, and then click the Security tab.

3.Click Advanced, and then click the Owner tab.

4.In the Change owner to box, click the new owner

5.(Optional) To change the owner of all subcontainers and objects within the tree, select the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects check box.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d...ownership.mspx

[edit]

Are you sure D drive is NTFS
    check this out
    To display the Security tab

1.Open Folder Options in Control Panel.

2. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.

3.Click Appearance and Themes, and then click Folder Options.

4.On the View tab, under Advanced settings, clear Use simple file sharing [Recommended].

ok kewl now i see it but hmm theres a user with a name like 3758-24482304jklj-3489724
    <not the exact name but its like that. i cant remove him and when i click apply it keeps giving me this stupid access denied...
    Signature image is too wide!
    Signature image is too tall!

AntiOnline n00b
    in the security tab is there a Button Saying "Take Ownership" because if i remember there used to be a button on the right botton side of the tab

how do i inherit it? and there was one box that i couldnt check its called Special Permissions

i havta go to school ill be with you on that question when i get back

AntiOnline n00b
    Ok i will go and check it on a friends Computer who has windows XP professional and get back to you.

aight thanks

If you never get the permissions to clear... there are other things you can do.

Do you have a CD burner? If so download and boot to knoppix www.knoppix.org and burn the files to a CD, or if you have another computer then back them up to a remote drive with enough space. knoppix will bypass all ntfs permissions. you can use smb to mount the remote drive, or even linneighborhood (easier GUI)

Then format that drive and recreate it with the appropriate permissions.

But swordfish is right. Take ownership of the folder and add yourself our add the administrators group. Since you are admin you should be able to add yourself to that directory. Then you will be able to remove that other name. Since you're not currently on the permissions list for it, it won't let you remove it. Kind of stupid the way they make you do it...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AntiOnline n00b
    anybody have a Xp Professional Box With NTFS partation out there can plese help me out here actually i don't have much experience in XP i have always worked in WinNT and Windows 2000 Advanced Server. in WinNT there is a button in the Security Tab "Take Ownership" and it does it all , if you are Admin it will take the ownership of the file or folder. i am not sure whats the interface like in Xp to be truthful never worked on XP.

phishphreek80 gave a very good idea do you have a dual boot boot like windows 98 installed if yes what you can do is instal.l NTFS for Windows 98 and acess the files from there.

[edit]
    sorry just remembered you said both drives were NTFS that meand no windows 98. if you can try his idea . but you should be able to take ownership of the folder. i did it quite easily in WinNT, XP gurus out there.... help needed.....

Yes, XP has an owner which can be reassigned. Its in the location you described.

properties, security, advanced, owner tab. highlight respective owner and click apply.

You should be able to give yourself rights to that folder because you are already local admin.

He couldn't remove the other account because he didn't have rights to it. He has to add himself first, then remove the other. Not remove then add. *I think*.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.