Thread: network config problems

network config problems

hopfully someone can help

i am trying to set up a network in my home i have a xp pro box(hard wired) and a win2000 pro laptop(wifi) connected to a lynksys dsl router connected to the internet through a dsl modem. Both machines are able to connect to the internet and have no problems. But i can not see the machines from each other they are both in the same work group.

I am at stand still any help

Elite Hacker
    I think that if you just run the network setup wizard on the XP box and 2000 box, then you should be able to see both of them. Also try typing the ip in the run box from the start menu like this \\xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Also, make sure you don't have any firewall blocking it, that's probably what's happening. I think the ICF in windows will block that access. You may want to disable that and get a more configurable firewall such as sygate, that way you can run the firewall and allow access to the computer within the network. Your router may have a built-in firewall also, which in that case, at least temporarily you can disable all software internal firewalls to see if that was the problem. But try not to do that, fool around with the options instead to see if there's some sort of trusted list you can add IP's to for access. Good luck.

i have tryed disableing the firewalls (zonealarm) and the network config on the xp box but when i run the net config disk on the win2000 it sayes that it is not compatable with 98 98se millinium or 2000. that slowed me down and i came here again for help. i haven't tryed the ip x will try that now thanks for the help as alwaysin the run bos

AO French Antique News Whore
    Jam the XP computer in your 2000 CD, and install the network component of Windows XP, that should do the trick. If it's not working, install NetBios as a network protocol and make sure all PC are on the same workgroup.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

You might need to enable sharing on the computers. I am not sure about win 2000, but on the xp box, you can right click on the folder you want to share, go to properties then click the sharing tab it will guide you though it from there. Hope this helps...

You need to completely uninstall Zone alarm.

Zone Alarm has a bad habit of staying on even though you've disabled it.
    =

thanks

the firewall was blocking me and i didn't have the right permissions set up.

thanks everyone

also does anyone know where there are some good resources for lynksys router config

Which Linksys, Befsrxx? If so pm me and I will give you a hand with whatever. Otherwise the linksys site isn't that bad.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-