Thread: what is a payload ?

what is a payload ?

can one plz explain in own words what exactly is a payload.
    thank you.
    Industry Kills Music.

Read this

http://www.blackhat.com/presentation...03-hassell.pdf

should clear it up for you
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

oohh. thats to hard for me...can you explain it shortly so that *I* can understand?
    Industry Kills Music.

You don`t understand that powerpoint??

The payload is the part part of the exploit/virus that actually does something, so for example if we look at the blaster worm: the PAYLOAD is sent over the wire to and RPC service listening on a port. Assuming the host is accomodating the PAYLOAD will cause a command shell to be bound to port 444 on the infected target, and so on as the worm does it stuff.

So, the payload is working part of the packets sent for an exploit.

ok???
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Banned
    "Free Gigabyte"? One night in jail... I don't think trial has even started yet. Funny how this guy asks what a payload is then feels a need to support the biggest media fish within the VX scene. If I got arrested I would be offendid if someone waved around "Free |T|S" posters... it reminds me of those stupid Mitnick days.

R0n1n, with buffer overflows and things in almost any case where there is command execution that part is usually called the egg. A payload would be a automated task other than the malware's main purpose for example a worms main purpose is to spread to other computers but the payload part of it on a certian date it changes around a few registry entries to change some guy or gal's internet explorer startpage or something, or it does dDoS on some loser's site, or it plays a *.wav sound effect, or makes a message box appear & crap like that.