Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how to catch someone whos sending you viruses

.Pif is a old old way (back to win 3.11 I believe) way of infecting. Pifs were intended to help windows understand how to handle new, and different, software packages. The return of the pif is interesting.
    At least thats how _I_ understood Pifs, correct me if Im wrong...
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Just Another Geek
    Almost there avenger A pif is indeed a relic left over from the 3.1(1) days. It's basicly a shortcut similar to todays lnk files.

Unfortunatly you can rename any executable (exe, com etc.) to .pif and the executable would still work.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

LOL
    Hey for someone who never had to deal with them.... heh
    I gave it my best shot. Least I was close
    Pif= program information file?
    (or does that make TOO much sense to be right)
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

ok as an individual, if someone intentionally sent you a virus and was stupid enough to use their own computer and a mail service that was also their own with a lot of help from the law you can do something about it. my advise here would be chalk it up to experiance. it doesn't take as long to get rid of a virus as it does to get your computer back from a forensics lab.

worms and viruses on the other hand use their own smtp engines that for some odd reason dont conform to the rfc. they send out copies of themselves to everyone using anyone as the sender and actually have the nerve to include an ip address thats not their own in the headers. can you imagine!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”