Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Internet DNS vs. Intranet DNS

how exactly should i uninstall DNS ... you mean from the Add/Remove Programs Menu

remove the whole service???

I go with tigershark... I think your clinets are assigned external DNS ip along with the dynamic IP..... you should put the internal DNS servers IP address on DHCP server's configuration and on the DNS server ( open DNS snapin from admin tools) under properties ( of the server not that of forward zone) theres a forwarders tab..... plug in your external DNS address in there.......

This should work......good luck

in a firebox soho under "trusted" you can set the dns settings to a local server which then gets and caches forign dns requests from a statically assigned exterior dns server while the "exterior" FW setting picks up its settings from verizon or who ever. No pass threw. i use sohos for vpn clients and set up the main dns servers at hq for the trusted settings
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

AO French Antique News Whore
    I go with TigerShark also! Good Answer Man!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

the problem here is that when I accually do dcpromo the domain doesn't work. i need the clients to see it but they can't ... they can ping to the server but that's it

rabit- I think you need to go read a lot about how DNS and AD integrate together. It will be very hard for anybody here to walk you through configuring your network via text if you don't understand the basics.

If you point all of your clients to your internal DNS, the clients should be able to resolve the domain, if you have installed AD properly(which is easy to do). When you have your internal clients pointed at your internal DNS, and they cannot resolve items on the internet, the reason for this is that you are not passing external DNS requests from your internal DNS server to the external DNS server. It is pretty easy to configure, once you understand how DNS works.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Rabit, you are positive that all your clients are pointing to the DNS server's IP address? I just went through the same issue recently (none of my clients were seeing the domain) and my problem was that I had to set the Primary DNS server to point to the DNS server's IP on each client along with allowing dynamic updates in my Foward Lookup Zone. (This is for Win2K, I don't know if Win2003 is any different)

I used these two references from a M$ article to fix my problem.
    Ref 1:
    1. Right-click My Network Places, and then click Properties.
    2. Right-click Local Area Connection, and then click Properties.
    3. Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP), and then click Properties.
    4. Click Advanced, and then click the DNS tab. Configure the DNS information as follows:
    1. Configure the DNS server addresses to point to the DNS server. This should be the computer's own IP address if it is the first server or if no dedicated DNS server will be configured.
    2. If the resolution of unqualified names setting is set to Append these DNS suffixes (in order), the Active Directory DNS domain name should be listed first (at the top of the list).
    3. Verify that the DNS Suffix for this connection setting is the same as the Active Directory domain name.
    4. Verify that the Register this connection's addresses in DNS check box is selected.
    5. At a command prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns to purge the DNS resolver cache, and then type ipconfig /registerdns to register the DNS resource records.

I also had to Allow Dynamic Updates in my Foward Lookup Zone
    Ref 2:
    Use the following steps to ensure that DNS is registering the Active Directory DNS records:
    1. Start the DNS Management console.
    2. Expand the zone information under the server name.
    3. Expand Forward Lookup Zones, right-click the name of the Active Directory domain's DNS zone, click Properties, and then verify that Allow Dynamic Updates is set to Yes.
    4. Four folders with the following names are present when DNS is correctly registering the Active Directory DNS records. These folders are labeled:

_msdcs
    _sites
    _tcp
    _udp

If these folders do not exist, DNS is not registering the Active Directory DNS records. These records are critical to Active Directory functionality and must appear within the DNS zone. You should repair the Active Directory DNS record registration

Full Article Here

I hope this can help you as it did me. good luck.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton