Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: IP Address Question?

Hey Thanks unvi$ible!
    I was looking for some stuff to read! so I'll learn what I can from reading? then I'll be able to post and look more like a pro!! ..

Question

What fire wall do you guys think is the best

dont downlaod pirated firewalls they could be trojans

BANNED
    I'm in a hurry and im going to work so I only read the first page of this thread.
    And i didn't see anyone tell him not to d/l programs off kazza if he wanted to keep his computer clean.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Thanks Guys!
    I'm getting rid of Zone Alarm PRO that I got from KazaA!! ..

But now I'd like to know with Firewall is the best for a guy like me? I'm just using my Computer at home! but would still like to get the best out there!!
    Thanks!

Yo,
    You can also try Kerio Personal Firewall at www.kerio.com
    It is free, like Zone Alarm. Play with it and Zone Alarm.
    AVG Virus scan is free. Back up your files and apps onto a cd,
    then play with your computer. If you have the means of doing
    clean installs of your OS, by all means play with it.
    Check the software out. Get AdAware and Spybot Search & Destroy.
    Read, read and read....

I did six clean installs in one day, not necessarily for fun to begin with,
    but now I know a bit more about bios, file-systems, partitions, all the
    little things that later come in handy. I now have a second box, and try to
    wreck it occasionally. That's what hacking is about, in a way, tweaking and
    configuring, messing with the registry, figuring out what .ini files are.
    Snooping around the innards of "your" box. I'm really not to worried
    about crashing my box, 'cause I have the important stuff backed up.
    The rest is just icing on the cake. Eventually you get to the point were
    you start getting these AHA moments, I understand now, the point of
    getting hooked on IT. Or maybe not...just don't be afraid of that little silicon
    monster inside the metal wrapper. What's it gonna do? Bruise your ego?
    Bite your toes...besides, the other guy wanting to crash your box, so what.
    Crash your own, fix it, crash it, fix it, crash it...after that you'll just shrug your
    shoulder.

Now if you use the box for paying bills and looking at your account info from
    your bank, then I would be very concerned. So before you start using
    these services, make sure you understand the technology and the risks.
    Having had some play time will make you more aware...

Have fun...
    g8way2u

Yo! bluthund!
    I have done a **** load of reformat's Myself ..
    But thanks for the advice for the firewall!! It's only a free version though! would it be enough to keep someone out of my Computer? I am doing Banking on it ... What about that Sygate one! is it pretty good? I've never heard of it,but wouldn't mind hearing your thought's on it!!
    Thanks!!

EDIT: Hey Unvi$ible! this link is Dead? http://www.xptuneup.com

frctl,

I cannot personally vouch for any particular product. I am pleased with
    the commercial product I use. What you should look out for, is how the firewall
    protects you. It is not enough to just filter/block incoming traffic, but outgoing as well.
    This has the benefit of giving you some protection against mal-code that reports
    back or starts going through your address book.
    Will it block or filter various protocols? Does it recognize Frag and SYN attacks. Are there frequent updates, ie. support from the vendor.
    One way of testing the efficacy of your firewall is to go to www.grc.com and do a 'Leak Test' and 'Shields Up' test. Don't run your box with admin privilidges and rename your admin account. Use strong and complex passwords, like abbreves of a phrase. Try not to reveal too much info about your platform. Also, part of the purpose of this forum is to learn how to use the networking tools available, and strengthen our defenses. ...I think so...

Remember that a firewall is not a Virus scanner. A 'AV' is generally a seperate app, and works only as well as long as you keep it updated and use it. Even then you might catch the flu,
    'cause virii usually are there first, then the signature.
    Google "Software Firewall reviews" or something similar. Their is plenty of info out there,
    good and then not so good.

g8way2u

thanks a lot bluthund!
    Great info I just love that kind of Reply!!

If you're on a budget (which a lot of people are) there are alternatives to downloading pirated software (which will only get you in trouble) or spending money you can ill afford.

For a firewall, I like Outpost (Free version) by Agnitum. It has extra features that allow you to fine tune your browsing like Web site content filtering, ad and pop-up blockers, mail attachment filtering and DNS cache - just to name a few. Kerio Personal Firewall, Sygate and Zone Alarm also have free firewall versions which have been used by many here at AntiOnline.

There are 4 free antivirus programs you can check out. Alwil Avast Home Edition, Grisoft AVG Anti-Virus System, H+BEDV Datentechnik AntiVir Personal Edition and Softwin BitDefender Free Edition Version. All 4 programs have automatic pattern updates. Avast will scan your Outlook and POP3/SMTP email, AVG will scan email for Outlook, Outlook Express, Eudora and Exchange client but AntiVir and BitDefender do not include email scanning.

If you are concerned at all about program stragglers, EasyCleaner by ToniArts works well at cleaning up system and registry files, has a backup option (in case you delete something you shouldn't have) and best of all - it's FREE! Definitely consider using Ad-Aware and Spybot Search&Destroy to guard against malware and spyware, both of which have free versions. A program I've been using ever since I read about it here on AntiOnline is SwatIt. It is a free Trojan scanning program that will scan individual files, folders or complete drives. You can also configure it to scan specific file types.

I noticed a new tutorial for securing Windows XP on the AO front page you may want to read and a site I've heard is great for Windows XP info is http://www.theeldergeek.com/.

This should give you a few more options to consider as well as more to read up on. Good luck.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.