Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! 127.0.0.1?

Help! 127.0.0.1?

Okay, I need some help.

I've got forums, InvisionPowerBoard v1.1 RC2. Twice today, I've had a guest surfing the site w/ 127.0.0.1 as their IP addy. I'm completely at a loss as to what the hell is going on...does anyone have any ideas?
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Ok so I don't understand if this is a joke (127 blah blah blah is your own addy) or if somebody is actually somehow forging that IP address just to screw with you.... Elaborate?

Banned
    Maybe he's using some form of proxy that makes the Ip appear as 127.0.0.1 ?

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Deb, do you physically host the Forum or is it hosted somewhere else? I know I can open a browser on my site (via SSH) and visit any site there. If I did that, it's likely it'd show up as 127.0.0.1 since the browser initiates from the server the site is hosted on (that'd be my guess anyways).. Maybe the admin, if you don't host it, is just checking things out?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

MsMittens, it's possible that's what it is, because no, I don't personally host the site. However, we've had the site there for about 16 months and it's never happened before, and it's happened twice today, so I'm nervous. It's a completely non-tech forum, most of the people there have to have help with their avatars, so it's not likely that it's any of them playing a joke or spoofing their IP. And we're debating in IRC whether or not that's even possible right now.
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    So why not send an email to your admin and ask them about it? They may be able to help with some logs. Also, do you have logs that indicate who visited when? On my service I can see who visits my site, how often and what pages (assuming I have pages up... ).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ok here are 2 Examples there self explanitary.
    Anyhow you'll need winrar to unzip it.

cheers
    Lfrog
    Umm they said i should put my signature here.
    And now all i got is a heap of White Out on the Monitor..

MsMittens, we're going to contact them today. The only complaint I have about Invision is that when you contact them with a problem, you can expect to be treated like a pain in the ass retard.

Leapfrog, thanks for the effort, but you're wrong. I have both of those boxes checked yes, and when I am on the forum, I see my IP addy, correctly. I.E. my addy is 209.*.*.* and that's what I see. Same for a guest...even if it's not a member of the site at all, I see a valid IP address for them. When we first started the forum (waaaay back when ) we had them set to no, and we didn't see any IP addresses, and a couple of times, it caused some pretty crappy problems, so we set it to yes, and we see every IP address that every person on the forum has, guest or not.

we do NOT roam your board to see if you have anything illegal on your site. Sounds like someone who frequents your board has some sort of port scanner virus/trojan running from their computer without (?) them knowing - it's hard to say without actually seeing the problem... but it's not us and it's not IPB.
    Does that sound right to anyone? I'm having a hard time swallowing that story, but I could be quite mistaken too. Any input is appreciated.

has some sort of port scanner virus/trojan running from their computer without (?) them knowing
    Well that, IMHO, won't be the cause Deb. I think what your looking at is simple IP spoofing or some sort of 'privacy' software running on a persons computer to mask the real IP address.

Cheers:
    DjM