Thread: win xp to samba connecting problem

win xp to samba connecting problem

Hi all,

I have reinstalled my XP machine. Almost everything work fine, but I have problem with connecting to linux server on our home LAN. This linux machine is (or at least should be) configured right, because before reinstalling XP machine I can connect without any problems.

I tried to connect with total commander -> map network drive - than entered user name sun and my password. But it looks like the password is refused (i'm sure I have entered the right one). I also try to use: net use \\192.168.0.1\sklad , enter username password but again the password is refused... Anyone knows what am I doing wrong? Any ideas?

Oh and - other things work perfect. I can connect to internet using linux machine as gateaway, I can see this machine in workgroup computers...

Thank you very much in advance.
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]

Ok, no one appears to be touching this so I will start the ball rolling, though I have no idea what the problem is: I don’t use Total Commander and don’t use Net use , and you did not say how the Samba Server was set up, nor did you say what services you have running on the XP box. ( maybe links will help )

Did you try to use ”My Network Places” to set it up ?

Is Samba configured to use encrypted passwords ? ( if you have older win boxes connected, it may not be )

I am assuming you set up the XP reinstall to the proper Workgroup:
    I can see this machine in workgroup computers...
    Did you search and read through A.O. for similar problems, such as Making my LAN work or samba annoying etc.

Going to bed now, but maybe this will start you in the right direction. Let us know how it turns out.
    " And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" --Miguel Cervantes

Problem is solved and everything works perfect right now. But anyway - thank you for your answer IKnowNot!
    http://promote.opera.com/small/opera94x15.gif

[gloworange]Sun7dots[/gloworange]