Thread: Wireless router a pain in my butt

Angry Wireless router a pain in my butt

Okay HELP ME!! I know this question may have been asked fifty billion times but this situation is so frustrating and I'm not sure where to turn!!

I used to have a linksys wireless router, it was a b router. I'm not sure the model...sorry! But I'm only mentioning it as a reference as these problems never EVER happened with that router. I know it was set on channel 11 but that's about all I'm sure about.

I recently purchased this new router as I have g capabilities in my laptop. I was so excited until it started kicking me off. It would kick me off my connection (which I left SSID named as linksys but have since changed) and then reconnect me to linksys. Or it would kick me off and connect me to some AP named "oranthol" which I have no idea what that is. I've since figured out it was someone else's AP. I also had problems where it would kick me off, reconnect me to my AP, then the signal would decrease, increase, decrease, kick me off, reconnect me to someone else's AP, and then kick me off again. I have since renamed my connection SSID name thingy, I have changed channels, I have set up my XP settings so it won't automatically connect to "available" networks with stronger signals, and I deleted those "preferred" networks so only my SSID shows up as "preferred" and it'll only connect me to that. Yet...even as I sit here typing it KEEPS KICKING ME OFF!!! It only reconnects me to MY AP now but i just don't get it. I download a free signal finder thing and I can see other people's wireless AP's. Everyone is on channel 6 and I changed mine to channel 11...I'm not sure what it's being measured in but it says I have an SNR of 58, and Signal of -3?? I'm using a program called Network Stumbler to see that information. Everyone elses SNR is lower than mine and their signal is more negative...like -24 as opposed to mine of -3. Does anyone know how I should interpret these numbers from net stumbler?! Now, I did some reading on linksys.com and it basically told me to do everything I already have, which hasn't helped... Also I have upgraded the firmware...I just...I am a computer person but this is my first problem with wireless and I'm lost!! My old router was great...it NEVER did this...what is WRONG?! HELP!!

AO French Antique News Whore
    Try contacting Linksys Computer Support?

Also, reboot your computer and check your Windows setting to be sure they were save.
    -Simon \"SDK\"