Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 2k/XP Log Files

Windows 2k/XP Log Files

Where can these log files be found? Suppose i have remote access to a computer at a local business office. I use this for storage purposes. Lets say I accidently send something to that computer, realize it was the wrong thing, and delete it. Where are the log files that show what has happened?
    MySig != Worth your time

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I dunno..... This post just doesn't seem right..... Is your remote access legal?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Suppose you learned some social engineering skills...

anyway....
    hows the connect? FTP?
    c:\winnt\system32\logfiles\.....
    web access is here too...
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

So you have remote access to a local business where you use a computer to store info.

So, unless you are working on top secret government work, why do you care what shows in the log once you delete it?

Can you provide a little background?
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

One would really have to know that system inside out before anyone can answer you that. I once caught a hacker with a software called marketPro, which I used for marketing purposes and even had forgot it existed on that server. He was very good at deleting all his logged activities but he was being logged by a stand alone application.

No offence to you, Spydrpop, but I strongly agree with the other members... That does sound fishy, perhaps too much to be legal. Are you saying the machine you're trying to access is running WinXP? And what application are you using to connect? Amnesiac is right - most stand-alone applications have their own set of logs.
    But anyway - you'll have to make your case more worthy. "Say/Suppose that" is not enough
    -Friends come and go. Enemies accumulate-

It amazes me that you all simply won't help him. By basing whether you will provide information or not on the assumption that his words "add up" to you is horrid. A small SE trick and you all would be giving the next bank robber full information to a security system if he sounded "legal". In the same sense, a legit network admin looking to secure his own network could be rejected because he isn't nearly as skilled with words as he is computers... and you would reject him.
    So, in the light of what I like to call "knowledge", I'll help him. It isn't our choice to stop or hinder him because we can't trust ASCII text on a website, it's our knowledge that we are meant to share, and his choice to decide how to use it.

What transfer system was used? What protocol did you use? What system is the main computer? When was the last access made?

Answer me that, and I can begin to give you a pinpoint and exact answer.

What transfer system was used? What protocol did you use? What system is the main computer? When was the last access made?

FlashFXP, FTP, WinXP, A few hours ago.

In relation to all other posts, I just want to know where winxp/2k logfiles are stored...not that 'fishy' of a question...
    MySig != Worth your time

I hate to tell you this, but Windows keeps very very few log files. I doubt there will be a log to file changing references, but the FTP server should also have it's own logs. This is what you need to do:
    1. You need to physically be at the computer in question
    2. Start button > settings > control panel > Administrative Controls > Event Viewer

Within the event viewer are 3 logs, ranging from system errors to program errors. While it may not have the logs you are looking for, these are the only logs the Windows XP/2k system makes on it's own.

Pooh's right -- you're best bet is the Event Viewer. However, it's unlikely that even that will have logged what you're looking for. You're probably out of luck with that. How handy it would be if there were more comprehensive logs!