Thread: Sharing Broadband Via LinkSys Wireless

Sharing Broadband Via LinkSys Wireless

I have just aquired two Linksys Wireless USB ports (Model WUSB11 Ver.2.6). My neighbor has DSL broadband and I see an opportunity to save $$ by cutting off my broadband which costs about $90 a month including basic cable which I do not watch. My neighbor said could access his network for free if I ran the CAT5 between our houses, but now I have these wireless devices. The indoor range is 300ft and the "open space" range is 1500ft. There will only be two walls between my PC and his and our houses are ~40ft apart. Does anyone think this will not work? If this does work, what kind of security issues will I face?
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    It will work assuming the buildings are of "normal" structure.

You will face all the usual WAP security issues. At a minimum rename the SSID, turn off broadcast of the SSID and MAC filter it to just your MAC address(es). That keeps 99% of people out. Then watch for people sat in your driveway with a laptop.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    If you want to help "improve" the distance of the wireless (as far as range) check out the "Pringle Antenna". You can buy pre-fab versions of this for about $30-100 depending on material.

And to add to what Tiger said, don't forget the other standards for your wireless (firewalls, Anti-virus, secure logins, etc.)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Thanks Guys....I'll give it a try this evening....I'll check out that antenna too. Thanks MS Mittens.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

BANNED
    Here's a pre-fab of them there antennas MSM was talkin bout...
    http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/accessories/666e/
    I love thinkgeek.com
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...