Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: security measures i can take?

Angry

ohh... guys here are pretty helpful and tons of advise given~ try to learn & catch up what they mention~~ after all, u are kinda too soft.... have to be tough & rude sometimes, if force to....

For me, if people force me to go one mile, i will follow him two miles further~!!
    that's how the way u survive~!!

all da best & take care.

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    add his name to the spam list, so that his rantings don't even get seen by you,

firewall is asking 'can this app go online' ? unless you know the app instantly (AV for live update etc) just deny for now until you can ask here,

other times the F/W will be informing you that someone ? is TRYING to access you, click on block, F/W will generally be set to block that address for the next hour or so automatically.

As for the threats, he seems to have a misunderstanding of the concept of 'social engineering' ? and IMHO sounds like he is just blowing off ??

He gave you his name ? a real name ? you know as much about him as he does about you.

try to replace your OS PDQ, as ME is not really designed ? with security first. try for W2K Pro, will be cheaper than XP Pro, and almost as secure ?

your IP if dynamically set should be different each time you log on ? albeit within the set parameters of your ISP,

As far as personal protection goes, self awareness helps ? by this I mean that you should have a good feeling about oneself, that you do not come over as a loser? if the worst were to happen and you could just stare him down, he would probably back down, ( this is the shortened version of Brit Force Psych when you are possibly on camera ? and you do not wish to make the NEWS AT TEN )

failing that a big dog,

I'm not one for the unarmed combat, and armed combat is a thing of the (distant) past for me

Finally: remember, while you feel like this, that tw*t has won, living your life as YOU want is the best answer.

sorry for the ramble, must go and take me medication?
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

i used to keep logs of all my stuff but i dont anymore because my hard drive had to be reformated and i lost everything when i reformated it. i guess that i will start keeping logs from now on if you think it will help. i dont know where the other guy lives or even if evan is is real name.

my brother said that if i have no viruses on my computer and something asks to access the internet for the next day then i should let it because it is probably not a virus or something. and foxylady, what does OS PDQ mean? i had windows xp but i gave it to my brother for his computer and now all i have is windows me that came with my computer. i didnt know that this would happen when i give out my information. i tell people where i live and stuff before and it never happened. i will try to be more careful in the future. ahh thank you a lot.

to wizard314 : OS = Operating System, PDQ = Pretty Damn Quick.
    and calling me foxyLADY could end up with ME tracking you down
    got my tag cause Loxley was taken on some sites I frequent?? so in a fit of madness 'poetry' kicked in? and now it's too late to change. with regard to the F/W and access, if you have NO virus and you don't recognise the app straight away, then deny, it won't harm, and here, better paranoid than sorry !! you GAVE your brother XP, put the HDD into your system as slave, then format C:\ and copy over XP ( others more au fait with this please feel free to shoot me down ? )

edit : wizard, subscribe to the thread that you started, will get you an Email reminder when any extra posts are added. : edit end
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

I am new to this site and do not have much computer experence so i cant help u there but as for the physical portion of the question i would say that if u think he is extreamly intelligent then he could somehow already know where you live and classes in self defense would just be a waste of time because for them to really take effect you have to have had some training for several years. so my suggestion is to get a dog, a big mean dog that eats raw meat and if u do end up talking to this person again even tho its a good idea that u to ignor him, just let him know you have a bull mastive this might give him second thoughts.

I do apologize to all the vets on this site who have computer experence i wish i could help on a more technalogical level but as i said i am new.

Most everyone here is on the right track, ESPECIALLY pooh, who gave great advice. The main thing to do is contact, contact, contact, be as big a "snitch" as possible and take no shame in it. Indeed, he can't find you on IP alone, but if he knows your name and a city, it is possible to find you -- that is, if he's actually willing to put the time necessary into doing, because it would be quite time consuming in all likelihood.

Which brings me to an important point -- It's wise to balance paranoia and common sense. In all likelihood, your aggressor is just blowing smoke and will never lift a finger to come hunt you down. On the other hand, however, the "that will never happen" attitude is also foolish, as cyberstalking is very real and happens far more often than most are willing to admit.

Bottom line: report the incident to those with athority, protect your system as you have been so directed here, and use this as a lesson not to trust anyone you don't know (face-to-face) online to any degree. You'd be amazed at how many years an online "buddy" can maintain a dangerous ruse.

Don't be scared, but don't blow it off. Go through the right channels and you'll have your back covered.

ahh i didnt mean to call you foxylady. i see that you are foxyloxey from the fable with the chicken and the sky. i am sorry. i know that os means operating system but i didnt know what pdq means. my windows me works good because i keep it up to date a lot. wht does "you GAVE your brother XP, put the HDD into your system as slave, then format C:\ and copy over XP ( others more au fait with this please feel free to shoot me down ? )" mean? i dont check my email often because it takes a lot of time and when i do check it i get a lot of emails saying that there are updates and stuff. it is like spam i think. i come here everywhere day though so i can see this ok.

i have a dog and she is a beagle. my parents wont let me have another dog. all i can have are kittens now.

if he is not for real like you all say then i dont have to tell my parents. if i do tell my parents then they wont let my use the computer anymore. i play lots and lots of video games on the computer so i gotta use the computer. how do i know who to rust and stuff. and if someone asks me things should i lie to them? and what does "You'd be amazed at how many years an online "buddy" can maintain a dangerous ruse" mean? ok thank you.

Originally posted here by Wizard314
    if he is not for real like you all say then i dont have to tell my parents. if i do tell my parents then they wont let my use the computer anymore.
    I totally understand, hard to peel away once you've gotten glued to it. If you're that intent on not telling your parents, then at least tell somebody -- preferably someone with some authority. Report them to authorities wether you tell your parents or not.

how do i know who to rust and stuff. and if someone asks me things should i lie to them?
    You don't. You'll notice one thing in common about those of us here on AntiOnline: we're very "paranoid" people. But seriously, how can you trust anyone when all you see from them is text? You can't be too cautious when it comes to the 'Net. Cyberpredators abound in many forms. As far as what to tell people, don't tell anything identifying. For instance, only give out your first name and never give out your full address (the city where you live at most, if you must). This doesn't mean you have to lie. Just be honest and tell them you don't give that information out, and if you don't want to sound like a wus, add the line "for security purposes" so you sound cool saying it.

and what does "You'd be amazed at how many years an online "buddy" can maintain a dangerous ruse" mean? ok thank you.
    I'm talking about friends you make over the Internet that you don't know in person. There are many predators out there who pretend to be other people to catch people just like you -- friendly people who don't have the experience to know the deceptions common to the online world. You won't run into them often, if ever, but if you do, they're very dangerous. A 40-year-old man can easily pretend to be a 17-year-old girl, and what I meant was you'd be amazed how long they'd be willing to keep up such a ruse just to get to someone. Like I said, good to be what many others consider "paranoid" when it comes to the online world.

And that's why I say don't be so paranoid you freak out at everything, but be cautious enough that you won't be the next sucker, or worse, victim.

Hope that helps clarify.

I must correct myself, I said something in error.

Actually, you can locate people on IP alone -- I had forgotten that it's possible (you just have to really know what you're doing). Actually, I've located folks on IP alone. Man, I'm an idiot to have forgotten that! There's software out there that will take an IP, pull up a map, then slap a crosshair on the very street the machine resides on. Cool stuff, if you're the good guy.

But I digress. Just go to the authorities with this stuff.

I was trying to say, you can BOTH have the XP. just attach his hard drive to your system as a slave. HDD = hard drive.

ME up to date ? W2K Pro will not be supported by M$ within the next couple of years / months ?? W9x not supported, as for ME, the days MUST be numbered, if indeed it still is supported, (before you ask, supported means that M$ will provide patches for problems found)

ME was designed simply ? as a home user stand alone games playing OS, IF you must keep it, start to reduce your reliance on the web ??

and about your Emails, any that say they contain updates !!!!! will almost certainly contain trouble !!

AngelicKnight has written a good post re:- imposters and the like. read it and inwardly digest.

And finally: TELL YOUR PARENTS, forget about online priveliges, let them know about your worries and the like, hiding things from those who care for you just builds up trouble for the future.