Thread: Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus Fails to Scan Files With Certain Characters in Path Name

AO French Antique News Whore

Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus Fails to Scan Files With Certain Characters in Path Name

VERY small vulnerability in Norton 2002 Anti-Virus. A manual scan (The Auto-Protect feature is not affected). A local user or a virus may create a file or directory that cannot be scanned by the anti-virus engine.

Source : http://securitytracker.com/alerts/2004/Mar/1009333.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Regal Making Handler
    Great isn't it and they no longer support 2002. So any faults that show up now are not going to be resolved by symantec. I've moved on to Nav 2004 profesional, having used 2002 for a couple of years. I like the added tools you get with it and it seems to do a far more thorough job scanning in compressed files etc.

I do find it frustrating though that we should have to upgrade such important software such as this after only 2 years.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry