Thread: CA Administration Problems

Question CA Administration Problems

Concerning CA eTrust antivirus...

This one's got me scratching my head. I've been getting a lot of warnings in some of my logs for the past couple of months or so from my antivirus administrator (in-house administrating server, not a human administrator). The administrative server is pushing policies and scans to clients on the network, but evidently there's some communication problems going on.

Most instances at the moment state that a particular machine has "violated messaging policy", and many of the machines are doing this evidently. Also, many machines are resulting in administrative warning logs in which "[computer name] has not given a full response to the poll."

I've been looking at this for a while, but have yet to figure out what this means and what's causing it. Can someone throw me a line?

well searching the Etrust FAQ provides this answer

Product: eTrust InoculateIT
    Version: 6.0

Product: eTrust Antivirus
    Version: 6.0

Q: I am receiving numerous errors - "The machine (machine name) has violated messaging policy, setting to conform with policy (policy name)" - all for the same machine. But, when I check the named machine it is not violating the assigned policy. How can I resolve?

A: This problem is resolved with applying patch QO23794.caz.

You can find that patch at: http://esupport.ca.com/premium/antiv.../etavnt_60.asp
    do you have this patch? Did you actually go to the vendor and ask them first? Seems like a sensible place to go.....

Z

[edit]
    a little further searching on google/CA website aslo provides this link which I think you may find helpful

http://support.ca.com/Download/patch...t/QO23794.html
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

We have seen many strange errors while using eTrust, the vendor helped 90% of the time, but with the settings we had it became harder for them to assist and we had to go back to McAfee. (I still use eTrust at home without an issue).

I downloaded the patch, so we'll see if that works. Thanks!

Info Tech's right too, support does take a while to reply it seems. That's why I hit AntiOnline instead. Why wait a day or two for what you can have in a couple of hours?

support does take a while to reply it seems. That's why I hit AntiOnline instead. Why wait a day or two for what you can have in a couple of hours?
    LOL - ok good excuse - sorry if I seemed a little pissy earlier - working on a presentation I have to give next week does that to me

Z

Oh believe me I know. I'm coming up on graduation myself in May, I'm probably gonna be a complete stressed-out psycho-jerk until that day hits!

Okay, now I have another question for ya! One of my clients, the scheduled scan never completed. During that scan there were a number of engine exception errors. I searched the support website and came up nill. Anyone have a clue on this one? I don't even know what an engine exception error is!

believe me I know. I'm coming up on graduation myself in May
    I graduated with an MSc 6 years ago - this one is for work... which makes it a pig cos I can't blag my way through this one - and I have to make sure the french delegates understand it but good luck on the graduation anyway!

as for the engine exception error - you got me on that one - I've never heard of it either - does the log say which files it was scanning when you got the error - that might give us a clue?

Z