Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hidden info on a Floppy

I can attach the word document to an attachment on here but how can I attach what is on the actual floppy disk?

My biggest problem is this: I shouldn't even be in this class. I have some decent computer knowledge but just not enough for this class. I have gotten by with reading as much as I can to keep up but I shouldn't even be taking this class until the end of next year after I take some other classes... I used Bad Copy Pro and found some 'deleted' files but the only one that says anything is an email with some evidence but I need a lot more. I just don't know how to use a Hex editor. I'm not trying to get someone to do my homework by any means. I just need help on how to do some of these things.
    Anyways, you guys have helped a ton already and didn't have to. I appreciate it a great deal too.
    Mike

You can use rawwrite to create an image of the floppy.

Then, users can take the floppy image and copy it back to the floppy.

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

It may be too big to attach to the board here... so, you may have to zip it to get it down in size. Well, you can't attach an .img file anyway. You'll have to zip it regardless.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

The free program I posted a link to earlier, Disk Investigator (http://www.theabsolute.net/sware/dskinv.html), has a hex editor while it goes through the low level disk stuff. You can find deleted files, and go into hex mode to try and find anything that looks like plain text or other evidence. Just go to View -> Disk, instead of Directories, and it shows everything in HEX, Text (ASCII), and Decimal (#0 - 255).

Hopefully it is what you need, but you can also look at what everyone else recommends. Have fun, and maybe there is some reason you're in this class a year earlier than normal. Good luck

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    You can use rawwrite to create an image of the floppy.

Then, users can take the floppy image and copy it back to the floppy.

http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/rawwrite.htm

It may be too big to attach to the board here... so, you may have to zip it to get it down in size. Well, you can't attach an .img file anyway. You'll have to zip it regardless.
    Binary or Source... which should I download and install?

Nautiqeman

No problems with the "homework" .........as soon as you have a budget to manage you learn to cheat...............

WinHex has been recommended...............I will go with that...............also, don't forget DOS tools?...I am guessing that part of the question is about standard windows deletion tools........?

GROOVICUS.............where are you man? ........just when your people need ya?

Any chance of posting a mirror of the disk?

Cheers

I guess this thread is getting longer than it should. 3 pages... wow full of stuff and ideas...

Home work must be completed by now over 3 to 5 times I guess... lolz... cya all..

It's not due till monday. All I have is an email and the properties of the disk with his name on it... The email was written before he was arrested. I don't have any hard evidence though

mm nice one...think I've seen this cae before..what're the files on the floppy?yes you'll have to use linux for a bit...tho you can try and use a set of unix utilities for windows..dont remember the exact addy but you can search for it on google(try unixutils.zip).It's a pretty nice set for users who're on windows..has dd,md5..and a lot more,check it out..you'll also need a hex editor..incidentally..if someone's actually still reading this..lets say you've deleted a file which was 1.4mb of a floppy..how d'you recover it if someone's stored something else...wouldnt the tracks be written over or something?