Thread: I could use some E-mail help

I could use some E-mail help

I'm not sure if this is allowed...but I don't know where to turn to, so I'll get to the point. Someone has changed my password to my Yahoo account and I don't know what to do. I can't use my secret question because I purposely put jibbersih on it so no one could get it. I'm not asking for hacking methods. I just need some help. Like a 800 number or something. I don't know. I just don't know who I pissed off. Thanks for at least reading this.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/edit/cgi_feedback <-- this should help. Have them email another account rather than your yahoo account or create a new yahoo account for them to email to.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

thanks!

Thank you very much. I gave it a try and I'm waiting for a response. But quick thought though...can't I easily impersonate someone and do this? I mean there is no verification process or anything.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    You could do the same on the phone as well. Social engineering can be done through any communications method. You just need to go beyond simple social engineering to prove who you are.

One of the ways you could identify yourself is if you can identify emails from specific dates (eg. you received email from so-and-so on March 10th and spam on the 11th, 12th, etc.). You could also identify email you've sent out (assuming you store it there) as well as your previous password (some sites do keep copies of previous passwords).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

This is some very useful info. This is a perfect example of newbie and expert. I need to get to learning mode quick.

There was an article I just read about some kid cracker getting AOL account information just by mumbling. He claimed he had just recieved jaw surgery. After a whole lot of repeats by the kid (that the staff obviously could not understand) they just reset the password.

"I kept calling and pretending I just had jaw surgery and mumbling gibberish," hakrobatik said. "At first I had no info except the screen name, then I called and got the first name and last name by saying, 'Could you repeat what I just said?' Then each time that I got information I called back making the real information understandable, and everything else I just mumbled."
    http://www.wired.com/news/infostruct...,57753,00.html
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-