OK here goes, this is a question that I was thinking about this weekend and I couldnt get anyone to answer this (ive gotten different answers)

Say : You have 2 seperate HDD's, one is NTFS the other is FAT32, you keep all your program files, on the NTFS drive and the FAT32 drive you use to download stuff.

The question is since fat32 cant (or shouldnt be able to) detect the NTFS drive, if you were to download a file to the fat32 drive that contained a virus, could it propagate to the NTFS drive on its own. I know it can if you allow it to by copying a file from the fat32 to the NTFS, but Im asking, if the virus could do it on its own.

I was thinking of setting up my comp at home this way, and was wondering if doing this offered more security then having both drives as NTFS.

My teacher said no, but a point that got brought up was a virus that was in memory, im not that knowledgable in how a virus actually works, so I figured that I would ask the experts.

btw, i wasnt syre where to put this, since its not really an antivirus question, but it does discuss how to "not get bitten by them"

and one other thing, I was wondering if there were any other benefits of having the main drive be NTFS and the other bieng FAT32