Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bagle Does What?

I agree it is cool, by optical I mean a camera or scanning device using the spectrum of light that we and machines can see.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

When a computer get's hold of this 'optical picture' it's still just a string of bits. Even with edge detection, there's still a string of bits that it has to process first.

Get my point, there is no magical 'optical' or 'data', to a computer it's the same thing. A string of bits. The computer always has to start with that unles there's a human involved. Do you know another method? I would be very interested in it.

Oh I know, and to be frank I don't know sh*t about OCR expecpt how it translates an image into a grid and asigns values based on where the image intersects each predifned border. I was thinking though that to use OCR technology in the sense that I see it, they would have to first render the object in visual form that I could recognize (that doesn't mean it has to be displayed to the screen) just rendered in memory, and then the OCR program could run on that. I was thinking that wouldn't be as cool. If they already know something about the file then they could just look for values of say the RGB value equal to green, and not even have to figure out what is actually contained in the file just the "signature". Not sure they even could gather recognizable info, just some copied or predefined pattern of values stored, otherwise all those spam bots would be able to break the picture authenitication part of Ticketmaster and all the sites that use it to verify human vs non-human components. That would suck even though it's cool. Like I said, I am just not sure they can, and if they are I don't see OCR being the source. In fact Optical Charecter Recognition isn't even mentioned.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

ahh, I gotcha. thanks.

Banned
    So to detect if it's picture or text you Ctrl+A. If it's a big box.. picture, else text. That is quite interesting. I wonder if Lycos supports images in body.. Or you could turn html off?

-Cheers-