Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Career paths

Experience is key. I know others have already said it, but it needs to be repeated because it's so very important.
    I'm not very far along, but I've learned a lot about how to move up through the field and I'm feeling generous, so I'll share Also, please note that these are my personal opinions and definitely not fact. I'm young and dumb to boot.
    Landing a good position is about so much about who you know that it's not even funny. The current labor market for tech workers sorta sucks (at least where I'm at), but I was able to land a great job because of someone I knew.
    If your company offers to pay for courses, take them up on it. The people you meet at these events are the people who can help you find a better job. Look in the paper to find out which certs most companies are looking for. I'm still trudging through the MCSE... It's a good deal of drek, but a lot of people still want MCSE's and I'm playing along.
    Another thing... Start your own tech support business for home users and small businesses. Give these people great service and you never know what sort of oppurtunities will open up for you.
    That's all I can think of now. Good luck.

Re: Career paths

Originally posted here by foxyloxley
    I'm just starting out in the IT world, and the question I want to ask is this:
    What route / qualification path did you ( the reader ? ) take on your way to get where you are now? always assuming of course, that you LIKE where you are ??
    this is a serious question , as I would like to feel that taking the next year or so, to gain my MCSE is wothwhile ?
    and what other certifications would you recommend / not recommend, and in what order ?
    My original aim was to get to Admin level, and from there conquer the world ?
    At present I am studying at home in my own time ?? SQL and some C++, I am also reading up on the 'basic' technologies ( networking, trouble shooting, monitoring and diagnostic tools etc. )

Hopefully this will make some sense eventually
    "The top money in the tech sector is management and sales.

The highest paid admin/programmer is going to make less than the lowest paid executive as a rule. Project managers/Program directors will make more than any of the engineers below them. Sales really varies, but a good salesman for a large company can make many hundreds of thousands per year, and they require level of technical knowledge as well, though obviously not as extensive as a direct technology worker.

For college, if you want the most money go with an MIS major and perhaps general business minor... this will leave you positioned well to move easily into a more executive IT position."

Quote:catch

These are the choices I have chosen.