Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remote Access to my home box?

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man

Question Remote Access to my home box?

Okay, So I am behind a NAT router with DHCP assigned Ip address. I dont want to pay for more Ip's from my ISP. Sue me..anyways I want remote access to my machine from an outside source, say from work.(Telnet or some shell access) Anyways I'm running Windows 2000 Professional, and I am pretty much clueless as to what, if any options i have. Maybe some sort of Redirect at router level... Any clues would be much appriciated. I have looked into DYNdns.org but i dont think this applys to me...
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Well if you have a Dynamic IP address, then your only real option is to go with something like dyndns.org

Either that, or you can get a program to email you whenever your ip changes. If you want remote access, you ever thought about gotomypc? or PC anywhere?
    =

i do not own such a NAT router,
    but i found something that could help.
    http://www.tek-tips.com/gfaqs.cfm/le...d/595/fid/2262
    it's about cisco and VPN ,but shows how to setup your NAT table.
    Industry Kills Music.

Remote Access

I believe that you could do that, or you could set up a static ip address, and secure the connection by encryption, combined with good firewalls, and I must recommend an Intrusion Detection System (Picks up hackers as they hack) to protect the connection

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    My IP address is a DHCP address. Like... 192.168.1.101. Its private, never changes. Please dont respond if you are clueless..
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Yeah, doing that shouldn't bee too mutch of a problem. DynDns and the like would help greatly.

First off so we can get this going, What type of router do you have? linksys, cisco, dlink?

Basically there's two major things you'll need to do.

1. Make your computer talk correctly with the outside world

2. Make The outside world (you in the outside world) able to find your computer.

1a.

First you need to make sure you've got a good server for your shell. For win2k I'd recommend OpenSSH with CygWin Follow their instructions for them to get them up and running. If anybodies got an easier alternative that'd be great, but this setups really no big deal if you just follow the directions. There are plenty of options that cost money, but Openssh and CygWin are free. Win 2k pro comes with a 1 user license telnet server, but if I suggested using that around here I'd probably get smacked

1b.

At this point, to test your ssh server, you'll want to get an ssh client like Putty. Follow the instructions for that prog to get connected, and make sure you're server's working. You may want to connect to a know working ssh server to test your client configuration as well. Anyone have any ideas for a test ssh server? You can google for something maybe.

2a.

Then you need to configure your router to allow access to the specific port (22 for openssh) on your internal machine from the internet. Your router documentation should help with this. I can't help more till I know what type of router. You may need to disable DHCP on your internal network for this.

2b.

Lastly, when your server is working, the external port is working, and you know how to configure your client, you'll need to set up DynDNS or something similar. This too is fairly straight forward. Just follow the instructions on the website.

After that you should be able to connect from anywhere that has inet access and the Putty client (freely and easily downloaded). You will connect using your DynDNS address.

Hope this helps. If you need any more specific help, post a specific question.

Elite Hacker
    I have pretty much the same setup. I have a D-Link router with 192.168.0.* DHCP assigned ip's to my LAN computers. Usually they grab the same on, so it's not really a problem with them changing. All you need to do is forward the port the software you get runs on to the correct local port on the correct computer. I recommend ultraVNC or realVNC, among others. They will all work. They run default on port 5900, but the browser enabled access defaults to 5800. You can just forward those ports to the correct computer after you install and configure them correctly. Use a strong password. You can get the links from google, I think realVNC is www.realVNC.com
    Good luck.

Wait just checking, did you say that your router was picking up the IP address 192.168.1.101 or your computer that is attached to the router? If it is the latter, do what I do. I bought a domain name from godaddy.com for 8 dollars, then I used dyndns.com to be my dns server. After that I just set up rules on my router to forward to the boxes on my network that I want to be able to access. For example

Remote---------------------------------------------- Local
    www.(mydomainname).com:4000-------192.168.1.104:22-----Goes to my slack box
    www.(mydomainname).com:3000-------192.168.1.103:3000--Goes to ntop
    www.(mydomainname).com:22----------192.168.1.103:22-----Goes to my http server

I don't use any VNC programs, just xterm (linux), So I can't really help you there. But as for shelling in, don't use telnet. If you want to shell into your box, use putty (google for it).

By the way, DYNDNS.com is very helpful, and it only costs $20 for a year of service (as opposed to god knows how much for pulling new static IPS).
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

AO French Antique News Whore
    Dr Toker, the only hard part is to keep track of your outside IP address. Their alot of good service out there to help you update your dynamic IP to something more static.

The rest, you need to choose the program that do the host job home machine (I'll take PcAnywhere for example), configure PcAnywhere with a login and password and the port PcAnywhere will listen (Default is TCP 5631,5632). After, you go in the firewall rules of your router and set port forwarding of the port Pcanywhere will listen go forward to a internal Lan address (Probably 192.168.1.101) As you said, LAN Ip never change unless your reset your firewall.

That should give you a big help! Good Luck
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    As suggested:

1) USe a dynamic IP service

2) Do the proper port forwarding on the router

The real reason for my post is to check out ultr@VNC.

From their FAQ:

* What is VNC, what is Ultr@VNC ?

VNC is a famous, cross-plateformes and Free (GPL) software allowing to remotely control your computer(s) over any TCP/IP connection as if you were in front of it. It is very usefull for network administration, remote troubleshooting, eLearning and so on.

Ultr@VNC is an enhanced VNC distribution, for Win32 plateforms only (for now). It's based on RealVNC, features TightVNC smart cursor handling and encoding, almost all the special functionnalities that can be found in eSVNC and Vdacc-VNC, and a LOT more.
    And for you linux people check out RealVNC.

From their FAQ:

VNC stands for Virtual Network Computing. It is remote control software which allows you to view and interact with one computer (the "server") using a simple program (the "viewer") on another computer anywhere on the Internet. The two computers don't even have to be the same type, so for example you can use VNC to view an office Linux machine on your Windows PC at home. VNC is freely and publicly available and is in widespread active use by millions throughout industry, academia and privately.
    Platforms include Unix, Win32, Mac, GGI, RiscOS, PalmPilot, BeOS, DOS, OS/2, SVGALib, Geos, etc etc.

Definetly worth a check.