dcsimg
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remote Access to my home box?

Originally posted here by Dr Toker
    My IP address is a DHCP address. Like... 192.168.1.101. Its private, never changes. Please dont respond if you are clueless..
    Not very polite from someone asking for answers to such a simple question...
    Everyone is/was only trying to help...

I had a similar problem to this.

1) Manually specify IP on the Windows 2000 box, ex. 192.168.1.101
    2) Go into router settings and open port on that IP address for RealVNC www.realvnc.org
    3) Setup RealVNC host on your home PC
    4) Setup RealVNC client on whatever computer your trying to connect to your home PC on

*Note RealVNC is free, small and easy to use

If you do not have access to your routers port forwarding settings then you probably will not be able to access your box inside the router from an outside computer.

neta1o
    ][ neta1o ][

I agree with everyone else about VNC. It is a great app.

However, I would not use it all by itself over the internet. It is not encrypted.

You can use it over a stunnel or ssh tunnel though.

Check out the following docs for that.

Making VNC more secure using SSH

Secure VNC via Stunnel
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    So it works. I setup windows telnet on my box with Port Forwarding on my router. Everything is working fine. All I have to do is telnet to the IP issued to me by my ISP, at the specified port, where port fowarding has been enabled, and it works wonderfully. Now, that I have that, I am going to move on to another service such as VNC, or something like that. Thanks guys for all the help.

See, this is why I love Antionline.com, you guys come through almost everytime. Thanks for the help, now I have shell access to my home box. You guys Rock!
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Originally posted here by Dr Toker
    My IP address is a DHCP address. Like... 192.168.1.101. Its private, never changes. Please dont respond if you are clueless..

Seems to me that your extremly clueless if you solution is to use Telnet. I would be very embarrassed to admit that to a security site.

Originally posted here by ss2chef
    Not very polite from someone asking for answers to such a simple question...
    Everyone is/was only trying to help...

In addition, you sound like a complete ass in this statement. DHCP=Dynamic assigning of IP's. Static IP's are the ones that you personally asign, and don't change. Don't be rude to peeps if you have no clue what your talking aobut.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Originally posted here by ianbigboy
    Seems to me that your extremly clueless if you solution is to use Telnet. I would be very embarrassed to admit that to a security site.

Yes well it accomplished the general goal "Remote Access to my home box?". I now know I can hit the box from outside. Telnet is not even running anymore. Its like impossible to post to this site with out some dumbass trying to act like he is important. I was asking a question, inquring about something i didnt know much about. Other wise I wouldnt have asked. Somehow I knew this bullshit would happen when I started posting on AO again. So, in conclusion i would like to say ianbigboy, suck my balls.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

I probobly wouldn't have said it like ianbigboy, but we are just trying to look out for you. Having telnet open on your box is downright dangerous. If you were trying to set it up just to set it up and see that it can an will work, then I am all fine with that . Just don't make it a full time service on your box.

Like you said, next try using VNC over a ssh tunnel. If you have any more questions, post them here and </b>WE</b> will try there best not to come off as rude.

Another suggestion, if you can, try and find you an old box (p1 150 mhz is more than nice) and install linux on it. Then try and set up a ssh server and apache server on it. You will learn a great deal bout port forwarding, setting up servers, and keeping them somewhat secure. If you need help finding an old box, try your nearest shcool, college, business, ebay, or even someone here might mail you one (if you are willing to pay the shipping).

Yeah, I just felt like saying things.
    /me away
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-