Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what honeypots are there?

what honeypots are there?

i can't find any good honeypots w/ google.
    Well...its not gonna get much better than linux!

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Which OS would the honeypot go on? Check out HoneyNet Project has some good resources.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

i want it to go on WinXP.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    BackOfficer Friendly is a free but simple Windows honeypot. ManTrap by Symantec is a high-end, high cost. Alternatively, you could use something like VMWare to create a medium risk, medium-low cost honeypot.

I've found that on Windows there are few free options for honeypots and mostly high cost options from larger enterprises (Symantec, Computer Associates, etc.).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

thanx 4 telling me about backOfficer Friendly

Good Day,

I just happen to have a copy of "Honeypots - Tracking Hackers" on the book shelf and after reading it, I would highly recommend that before you install software for setting up your own honeypot, that you do some studying.

Obviously I don't know your skill set, but better make sure yours is better than the folks you might want to lure in and catch in the honeypot.

Edit: Some links are also listed below the thread.

As Relyt said, pick up a copy of "Honeypots - Tracking Hackers". It's written by Lance Spitzner and is an excellent, excellent book. It's very informative, yet a relatively easy read at the same time. I did an independent study course last year on honeypots and that was the book I used as a text.

While Back Officer Friendly is pretty much the only free Windows honeypot I can think of, it's also incredibly lame. It's a low interaction honeypot, which means that all it does is throw up some open ports and then log whenever anyone connects to them. However, that's *all* it does...where as some low interaction honeypots will emulate a service. Another downside to BOF is that it doesn't take a brain surgeon to ID it. You can connect to it's wanna-be telnet port, type a login and password, but the password shows up as you type it. I've never telnetted into a box where that's happened. Quite honestly, I'd barely say that it was worth a look.

However, if you really want to get into some cool honeypots, use VMWare like Mittens said, but throw a Linux flavor on a virtual machine and then check into either Honeyd (my fav.), LaBrea, or the Deception Tool Kit. I'm pretty sure you may have to compile them from source, I know for a fact Honeyd you will, so you'll need to make sure you have a C compiler installed.

Happy Honeypotting...

Alpha

Hi,

rule #1 DO NOT do this on your main, or a shared computer resource......only use a machine on which you are prepared to reformat and reinstall your OS.

Certainly don't do it on a school, college or work computer

Honeypots are not beginners' stuff, so make sure that you read up thoroughly

Good luck.............and be careful

i like using the BackOfficer Friendly honeypot. thanx MsMittens.

why aren't there many threads in this section?