Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: XBox Security?

Hmm so X-box can only connect to the internet via Microsofts X-box live network?
    I own an x-box but have never really considered placing it on the net. I prefer the PC for online play. I know Microsoft charges a fee for a subscription but that is your only option? If so then coming from a PC centered online veiw, that simply sucks ass. I guess if you get some yahoo claiming he's going to crash your x-box and your network because you are tempting him with rockets, then the question would definitely come up. Any online gamer has heard and laughed at that one.

Note: I am not knocking the Xbox online play, cause I know there are a lot of die hard users, but in my view it sucks ass. Of course I don't know how much it cost?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

AO Part Timer
    I know that if it is possible for us to skin the box software, upgrade the HD space, mod it out, save backups of games on it locally, and a variety of other things. It is only a matter of time until somebody figures it out, digitally signed or not. Fortunatley I have only seen some positive hackers working on breaking down the box.

Until I see somebody break the signature with the mod chip off of course(otherwise you wouldn't be playing xbox live) then I see nothing to worry about.
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    Hmm so X-box can only connect to the internet via Microsofts X-box live network?
    I own an x-box but have never really considered placing it on the net. I prefer the PC for online play. I know Microsoft charges a fee for a subscription but that is your only option? If so then coming from a PC centered online veiw, that simply sucks ass. I guess if you get some yahoo claiming he's going to crash your x-box and your network because you are tempting him with rockets, then the question would definitely come up. Any online gamer has heard and laughed at that one.

Note: I am not knocking the Xbox online play, cause I know there are a lot of die hard users, but in my view it sucks ass. Of course I don't know how much it cost?
    Xbox live is the only MS approved way to play your xbox online. However, there is a piece of software called xbox-connect that allows you to play network games over the internet with your xbox and a computer. The only game that people seem to play on XBC is halo though. If online gaming is your thing, than using a computer for it is definitely the way to go as even the PS2 online gaming is strictly controlled by Sony. Using a computer just makes it a lot easier to play online without having to pay extra service charges.

I wouldn't say that the xbox online gaming sucks, it is just much different than a computer in that an unmodded xbox doesn't give you the ability to find other xbox users without xbox live. On a computer you can go to forums, use different chat services, etc.. etc... to find other people to play with. Even then, it still requires a little bit of knowledge to get a network game up and running without having to pay a service charge. Xbox live gaming is really designed for the people who may not have any computer knowledge, but want to play other people in games. And it works really well in that capacity.

If you have a bit of computer knowledge, getting xbox connect up and running is really easy. Just look out for all the arrogant teenagers that seem to inhabit the place.

If you guys want to see a cool as video of some console hacks, ( XBox,PS2 & Game Cube ), go to www.pureescape.net and check out the forum link "Modding up your Game Console".

Enjoy,
    --PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Linux was ported to the Xbox, as you can imagine this wasnt digitally signed and a mod chip wasnt needed.

It exploited a buffer overflow in a game, this allowed linux to be booted on the Xbox, Microsoft saw this got annoyed and patched it using the Xbox Live system. Apparently in the Xbox contract/ warrenty (not sure sorry) that your supposed to sign and send off your signing away your write to modify it and allowing MS to patch your Xbox using Xbox live. it was something like that but please correct me if im wrong.

Theres a whole website related to xbox linux, it details what ive just tried to explain better i imagine.

As for the virus, im theres more exploits out there, so if you looked for them you could explit them i suppose....dont see the point personnally.

i2c

I read alot of information on hacking the xbox last year when the e-book was published on the subject. Even after physically moding the box and running linux on it. The microsoft part hasn't been broken. The encryption that is used on the signature is still intact. Now when you go physically changing stuff then of course that leaves it open to other software, like linux and exploits associated with it. To my knowledge no one has broken the encryption embedded into x-box software and an unmodded x-box. If you go opening physical doors then of course you could be subject to xploits and is different from an X-box that has never been tampered with physically.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Antionline Herpetologist
    Another thing is that an XBox (with it's default OS) can only run one process at a time. This is why an XBox emulator hasn't been successful yet. So, to write a virus for an XBox, it'd have to be integrated into an existing application.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I have many many problems with my xbox,
    im using the aladding 2 advanced chip,

Then ived installed evolutionX
    unfortunaly the ISO i got hands on. had a "unkown w32k" virus,

so my xbox got infected, and still is, cause my backup is also infected.
    tryed "cleaning up" my Backup, but norton has no chance in hell, i just recomends
    that i delete a specified file.

So my current situation is.

I Cant use xbox Standard mode.
    I can ONLY use chipped mode, if it launches
    If it boot good, it sometimes wont run games, then i need to reboot several times,
    before the game is running.. totally unable to play dvds(movies) and music.

So now im planning to buy another xbox proberly a used v1.1 or 1.2
    and then use the old, for experimenting. :-(

Oh.. BTW Xbox without MODchip runs fine through tunneling networking services like gamespy.

Through lan, (simulates lan games, over gamespy)
    there 2 more providers of this than gamesspy, cant remember the name. Sry.

Originally posted here by i2c
    Linux was ported to the Xbox, as you can imagine this wasnt digitally signed and a mod chip wasnt needed.

It exploited a buffer overflow in a game, this allowed linux to be booted on the Xbox, Microsoft saw this got annoyed and patched it using the Xbox Live system. Apparently in the Xbox contract/ warrenty (not sure sorry) that your supposed to sign and send off your signing away your write to modify it and allowing MS to patch your Xbox using Xbox live. it was something like that but please correct me if im wrong.

Theres a whole website related to xbox linux, it details what ive just tried to explain better i imagine.

As for the virus, im theres more exploits out there, so if you looked for them you could explit them i suppose....dont see the point personnally.

i2c
    The save game exploit basically lets you flash the onboard tsop to a bios that allows you to run unsigned code. Installing a modchip allows the xbox to function perfectly normal when the chip is uninstalled or turned off. If you flash the TSOP with a save game exploit, you would have to flash the tsop back to the original bios before you could use xbox live.