Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My Ex is watching everything I do. Plz Help!

My Ex is watching everything I do. Plz Help!

Hi,
    I have reason to believe my Ex has physically installed some sort of an application or script on my computer thru which he is able to get an email of everything I type on my keyboard (including this message and all my passwords to my email accounts for example). How can I figure out if and where a keylogger program is installed on my computer? How can I stop the automated emails that is sending info out of my computer?

Also If there is another program on my computer that automatically forwards all my emails to him (both thru Outlook Express and online email providers like yahoo), how can I find out and stop that?
    Please help. Thanks,
    Frustrated!

A physical keylogger would be located between your keyboard and the port on your computer. Its probably software though. Due to the large amount of different keyloggers and spy programs available it could be quite hard to find. Your best, safest, surest and reliable option is to back up all the documents and files you need to cds, then reinstall windows from scratch and _then_ change ALL your passwords for your email accounts, forums etc. Good luck
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

An updated antivirus may be useful, since they detect such programs.. There are also programs aimed to remove and detect keyloggers. Try them.

While you dont fetch a brand new antilogger program...
    You might want to find out what program is logging your keystrokes.. see if you can spot it when you do ctrl+alt+del (have a look at the process tab, if running winxp). If you are sure it is out of order, have no mercy. Kill it. An remove it from your system forever.
    About the undesirable connections: remove the cable from your network interface . Or you can have a firewall installed, like kerio, and see a warning when our suspicious program tries to connect to the world. Slam the door in his nose, and wipe it from your computer. (kerio will ask if you want to allow keylogger's connection. Dont ).
    Having some options in mind (checking it via the process listing, or using a firewall, or using an antivirus or anti keylogger tool), try to use the tools. Much less hassle. i wish you good luck..

Found in a diary:
    \".... and yes, since i am a l337 hax0r, i am also using vi to write this. ^[[D^[[B^ exit ^X^C quit :x :wq dang it :w:w:w :x ^C^C^Z^D\"

Frustrated

This may not be a text book answer but it is what i would do.

1. press{ ctrl-alt-delete} at the same time -See if there are processes running that
    Shouldn`t be. (If you don`t know what a certain process is ...just search for it
    Using Google...just as it`s spelled in task manager.)

2. Download either of these programs and scan your c: drive

The Cleaner www.moosoft.com It has a 30 day free trial

Tauscan www.agnitum.com It has a 30 day free trial

This will find trojans/keyloggers

3. Then i would download spybot.....This will also search for keyloggers.

Spybot www.safer-networking.org

4. Almost forgot...After that download a software firewall. This will alert you if a
    Program of some sort is trying to "phone home"{like to the other guys
    computer} with your data.

These are free

- Zone alarm www.zonelabs.com You have to look around.
    - Sygate www.sygate.com
    - Outpost www.agnitum.com My favorite,

Read the manuals and you`ll be good to go.

There are alotta ways this information could be obtained by this person Trojans,keylogggers,etc. After you run these scans be sure and change passwords.

EDIT This is a good anti-virus scanner http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Just go to the site and run it online. /EDIT

Good Luck

Post a hijack this log? http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/HijackThis.exe

lets take a look at your regkeys and startup. After you can post your HJT log here or on one of these forums-
    http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/forums.html

If this was a fairly innocous matter, i would fully endorse the ideas presented by others here. But what it comes down to is that domestic situations can possibly become dangerous and very messy for the persons involved. It is very likely that the fellow just downloaded a garden variety trojan/keylogger and installed it. But it is possible that he is technologically savy and used a custom tool. And if he is very savy he would install both so the common one is found and the "problem is solved" when it really isn't. Maybe i am just paranoid but you are Better sure and safe than sorry, especially when passion is involved.
    my 2cents
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Originally posted here by lumpyporridge
    If this was a fairly innocous matter, i would fully endorse the ideas presented by others here. But what it comes down to is that domestic situations can possibly become dangerous and very messy for the persons involved. It is very likely that the fellow just downloaded a garden variety trojan/keylogger and installed it. But it is possible that he is technologically savy and used a custom tool. And if he is very savy he would install both so the common one is found and the "problem is solved" when it really isn't. Maybe i am just paranoid but you are Better sure and safe than sorry, especially when passion is involved.
    my 2cents
    That`s the Gospel.

I`m not sure if you know how to reformat your HD, or what OS your even running.
    If it`s windows ... this link will help http://faq.oit.gatech.edu/0305.html
    and if that info dosen`t help try any search engine for your questions.

It will be a learning experience if anything.

Please tell us your progress.

Quick, Go to your bedroom window.
    Theres every chance he is sitting in that tree with some binoculars.
    Well you never know.

Ok let me get a piece of this:

Start out by pressing CTRL-ALT-SHIFT and while holding those down press one by one every letter on your keyboard and all 10 numbers. If you see a menu pop up or something asking you for a password...then you most likely have something installed.

I'm sorry but many times CTRL-ALT-Delete will now show spy programs which run in stealth mode.

Go to http://www.glocksoft.com and download the trial version of Advanced Administrative Tools. One of the features of this program is to show every program running in your system....and it could probably show the stealthy ones (I'm going to try this on my PC and let u know how it goes). You can also do a portscan on your PC to see if anything is out of ordinary.

Are you using a firewall? If yes, what kind? Have you allowed any new programs to connect to the internet lately?

Since its your EX, I can also see a legal case in here, for Invasion of Privacy and such.

Let us know how it goes, perhaps we can think of something else with some more information.

Good Luck

EDIT:

I just tested 2 programs: Spy Agent 4.0 and iOpus Starr Pro.
    Spy agent would show up in the process viewer althogh It was set to run in stealth mode.

iOpus Starr Pro, had the option to be installed completely invisible...which made it pretty much impossible to see at ALL. Nothing on the start menu, nothing on process viewer, nothing in your C drive. NADA.

AAtools only picked up Spy Agent. Perhaps you should try some programs made specifically for spy programs.

iOpus Starr Pro, had the option to be installed completely invisible...which made it pretty much impossible to see at ALL. Nothing on the start menu, nothing on process viewer, nothing in your C drive. NADA.
    Thats when you need some hard disk monitoring. As well as registry monitoring...

www.systernals.com get filemon and regmon. they'll show you everyfile and registry key being accessed. (disable real time scanning of your av temporarily... it will fill up your logs QUICK!) filemon is similar to the lsof command on *nix. (list open files). You can also check out some of their other system utilities. The pstools are pretty good for working with processes.

Also, check out Strace @ http://razor.bindview.com/tools/desc/strace_readme.html

Strace for NT is a debugging/investigation utility for examining the NT system calls made by a process. It is meant to be used like the strace (or truss) on linux and other unix OSes
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.