Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TTL Packets

Hello,

How do u do the 'ping' operation 'n detect the TTL value ...
    Can someone explain with the help of an example ?
    - SCORPION

Argghh... There is this nifty program on virtually EVERY os called PING...

I'll use the one on windows... as I assume that's what you use.

======/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\| Begin Example /-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\==========

C:\CrackPot>ping 192.168.1.20

Pinging 192.168.1.20 with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 192.168.1.20: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64
    Reply from 192.168.1.20: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=64

======/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\| End Example /-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\|/-\==========

The values in red are the Time To Live (TTL) values RETURNED from the other system. They are not the TTL values sent by your system. They are the ones extracted from the NEW packet that the remote system sent in reply to your PING packet. In this case the remote, PING'ed, or PINGEE (whatever you want to call it) was linux. That's why it's "TTL=64".

We all hope that helps...
    If it doesn't help, feel free to 'clarify' your question once again for our amusment.

Jon.

Ya, I use windows.

But when i did as u told, ...
    Pinging 192.168.1.20 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.
    Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.20:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100
    Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
    Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

What may be the problem ??...

Well 1 more doubt.... How do u know our own ip address ??
    - SCORPION

Ok...

Mybad for putting in an IP address... should have told you to use another... #$@^@@#
    Can you tell us your exact circumstances and the reason your wondering about ttl.

If your goal is to determine another computers operating system... then forget about ttl, and get nmap as the nice people above have suggested.

to find out your own IP quick (search the forums and google for more comprehensive instructions),

at the same place you typed PING, type IPCONFIG. If that doesn't work, type 'WINIPCFG'

One of those should tell you your ip address.

NMAP.

NMAP.

NMAP.

Jon.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Suraj: No offense but this stuff is all a little over your head really isn't it?

You need to spend a little more time learning your operating system and what it can do and how to find things out about it before you start worrying about the intricacies of TCP/IP theory otherwise all you are going to get is answers that confuse and frustrate you more and eventually people will stop helping you because they don't want to go through a complete tutorial beginning with "First the earth cooled" in order to answer your questions.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    If your goal is to determine another computers operating system... then forget about ttl, and get nmap as the nice people above have suggested
    I couldn't agree more UpperCell. why?

In this case the remote, PING'ed, or PINGEE (whatever you want to call it) was linux. That's why it's "TTL=64".
    If you pinged me you'd get a TTL=64 and I'm on a Windows box

Also Suraj, if you want to see what your TTL is for your computer, use the command prompt, and type "ping 127.0.0.1"
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

So we're clear, my WinME box has TTL set at 128. That has been it's default standard since I bought it. And yes, TTL is not a packet, only a mere section of a packet.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Oh, and btw, if you ping yourself you'll always (no matter what time or how many times) will get 128. Atleast thas my experience with my WinME box and my WinXP one as well.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by Spyder32
    Oh, and btw, if you ping yourself you'll always (no matter what time or how many times) will get 128. Atleast thas my experience with my WinME box and my WinXP one as well.
    Hey Hey,

That's because you are running MS products. If you had a nix based OS, you would notice that you had a different default TTL.

Peace,
    HT