Thread: Screen Saver guidance

Screen Saver guidance

Hi,
    I need your help. I have been task to write a screen saver guidance. I need to focus on recommending maximum time allowed on platform. Can you please guide me as to where I can find the information to complete this task.

Thank you

Ok, Itzel: This is your first post, and this is a security site. A post such as this would be better in the GCC forum (General Chit Chat).
    That said, your best bet (and friend) for searching out information is google ( http://www.google.com/ ), but again I realize that just saying that would be slightly intimiadating for anyone new to search engines, so.
    1) 'screen saver guidance' produces Results 1 - 10 of about 14,300. which probably will not be relavent to anything you want.
    2) 'Building screensavers' produces Results 1 - 10 of about 198,000 some of which might be relavent to you, but I doubt it.
    3) 'Installing screensavers' produces Results 1 - 10 of about 89,200 which may actually be of some help to you. <http://www.google.com/search?hl=&cat...g+screensavers>
    4) 'screensaver platforms' produces Results 1 - 10 of about 54,800 again which may actually be of some help to you. <http://www.google.com/search?hl=&cat...aver+platforms>
    You can then do an advanced search and narrow down the critria you are looking for.
    Sorry about not being more specific, but I really don't understand what you are looking for. " screen saver guidance" doesn't tell me if you are looking to provide guidance on installing or building or what. And, "recommending maximum time allowed on platform" is just plain confusing. Platform being the OS the saver is to run on? And if it is, what do you mean by "recommending maximum time"?
    Most of the members here will help you if you can explain just what it is you are looking for.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Mox:

I need to focus on recommending maximum time allowed on platform.
    Through group policy I have my workstations bring up the password protected screensaver after 10 minutes. Why 10? 'Cos at 5 the users bitched moaned and complained..... I struck a balance between security and usability....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thanks Tiger, for clearing that up for me. I hadn't even thought about password protected screen savers used in a buisness environment.
    I tried that feature on my system and quickly decided that I didn't need it for a personal system, althought I can see the benifit in a corperate or govermental environment.
    I can also see why you comprimised at 10 minutes. Five minutes would be to minimal a time for users as they could be distracted by a phone call or another employee and then have to go through the password screen multiple times in the day.
    Is there a way for them to send their terminals into the screen saver, or just the 10 minute time limit. If not then you would have a 10 minute window of opertunity when someone say goes to lunch.
    I know that there is not a perfect setup, but wouldn't it be nice if there was a sensor in their chair that would drop the terminal into screensaver mode when ever they left their chair?
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Mox: There are some programs out there that allow you to activate a screen lock at will but they fall outside the group policy and therefore I can't mandate them. If I can't mandate it then 50%+ of the users won't use it thus it is useless to me......

I'm one of those that leaves as little as I can up to the users because I know from experience that they can't be trusted and will have a long drawn out B$ excuse as to why they screwed up.... and it often points to it being _my_ bloody fault.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thank you for your help. I am sorry I wasn’t more specific about what I wanted. I want the guidance to address standards for time-out period on screen savers on the desktop and justify why (specifically security reasons) they should follow the guidance. Does this give you a better idea of what I need? I did go to Google before I came here, however, I don’t think I’m using the correct criteria to get my answer.

Thanks again.