Thread: comp sec

comp sec

Hey everyone, there is so much info out there iam totally baffled about computer security it's a new field to me and i basically don't know very much about the subject.Anyway could you pls point out some books or web sites that deal exhaustively with the aims of computer security and security breaching techniques? i also need to know more about network and internet related issues and countermeasures.would appreciate your help.
    jo

Old Fart
    Heh.....all you need to do is start reading thru the threads located on this site and you will learn or be linked to all you need to know! Just click on the "active in AntiOnline's forums" link on the main page, select a forum (I'll suggest the security tutorials for starters) and READ READ READ!!!!

Have fun and....WELCOME TO AO!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Yes i was like u too not long back read, read ........Search Ao for topics that come in ur mind like links ,books etc u'll come across a lot

Learn about networking first. Too many folks jump into computer security (or at least try) before they know about OSI layers, TCP and UDP structures, and how all the hardware fits together in the grand scheme of communication.

A good (academic) book is Business Data Communications - it's written by William Stallings. Don't let the 'business' scare you, it's a very technical book, and deals with everything from internet to sattelite communications. After you read that, you'll be much better situated to learn about computer security.

l00p

re: good starting point for infosec

Pfleeger & Pfleeger - "Security in Computing". I really love this book. It covers not only basic security, but also basic networking, basic programming fundamentals, OS design/operation, etc. It also goes into detail on a variety of infosec topics. I don't think anyone can go wrong buying/reading it.

I'd start there imho. The book will introduce material that you might be familiar with, material which you've heard of perhaps but don't know that much about, and also material that you are 100% clueless about.

So, read the book- make a list of the topics you didn't fully understand or want to explore more in-depth and then begin collecting those. The reference section at the end of the text lists a ton of good source material.

Cheers,
    <0
    Ego is the great Logic killer

There are thousands of related tutorials, guides, how to's, ebooks out there which are focused on computing. A simple google search will suffice, then just start reading.

JODE,

We all have our favorite books and absolutely there is plenty of info on this site to teach you just about everything you'll want to know. However, I would first learn how to secure my own computer and home network if you have one. Learn your operating system or the operating system you use the most, inside and out. I'm not talking about word, excel, etc. We're talking about registry editing, tweaking your system etc. And if you don't have a small LAN at home, make one and learn how to secure it. Then spend some time attacking it yourself. Or invite your friends over for pizza and your favorite beverages, have them bring their laptops etc and plug into your network. You will learn a heck of a lot by defending your own network. Now that's a fun learning approach!

However, if you are serious about this, you need to find yourself enrolled in your local college.

Cheers

lessthanzero - good suggestion. I've read Security in Computing. Good reference, too.

l00p

thanks to everyone who replied to my post appreciate your help.
    jo

Here is a link to a section on the Department of Homeland Securities website that will help you learn about Cyber Warfare: http://www.dhs.gov/dhspublic/display?theme=31
    Everything that has a beginning has an end.