Thread: will it ever end!!!!!!

will it ever end!!!!!!

I had a funny thought today as I was reading the threads about exploit after exploit. My thought on the whole computer security issue's, no matter what you have is this.

Will people ever stop finding exploits, and I mean will they ever run out of them. Like for instance we get an XP update at least once every two weeks, Im thinking that someday crackers , hackers , kiddies ,will eventually have found them all...

What do you senior members think can microsoft ever win? and that goes for other software designers.

I welcome all thoughts posative and negative

It's never going to end. Maybe one day there won't be any new exploits for XP, but by then we'll be on Windows 2009 Proffesional. And of course 2009 will be full of exploits itself. I doubt that Microsoft will ever win, but Neither will Linux or Mac. There will never be a winner in the security game. It will always be too close to call, IMHO.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Actually, I'm kinda glad it'll never end. Remember as long as their is holes there is a need for security admins and that means employment.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

AO French Antique News Whore
    Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Actually, I'm kinda glad it'll never end. Remember as long as their is holes there is a need for security admins and that means employment.
    I SOOOOOOO Agreee!!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I asked the all mighty magic 8 ball and it said "SIGNS POINT TO YES".
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hi,

I think that D0pp139an93r has hit on it. As operating systems are updated along with browsers and Office suites, fresh vulnerabilities will be introduced.

It is a numbers game really? no matter how many people the OS writers use, there are a thousand times as many looking for vulnerabilities. It is bit like tax law...........legislation is drafted by a few civil servants, and thousands of tax lawyers and accountants then look for loopholes?

Competition will force the continued development of OSes, thus starting the cycle again?

Cheers

There is no lock that can't be picked. But educating users and doing more extensive testing before releases will go a long way to ensuring security.

Linux is actually going to help MS security a great deal. For now, there is a serious rival on the market. MS will have to beef up Windows, in terms of both security and reliablity. Just look at SP2.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

If vulnerabilities in software didn't exist anymore I would stop doing geek stuff.
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Ive always said that MS will keep me and other ITs in the money
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.