Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: SCO takes on the Feds

Hi Slick,

You mean you think that SCO might stand for "Soviet Communist Operation"?.............hmmmm..........I never thought of that

I still think that they are playing on thin ice............if you "know" what is used on a high security site, then you supplied under contract.............if not, they just broke our laws by revealing classified information...........C'mon you guys..............do them for it!!!!....

OK make of this what you will:

"Scotland Yard reported last night that thieves had broken into #10 Downing Street (sort of our 1600 Pennysylvania Avenue) and stole three of our Prime Minister's books. Unconfirmed reports suggest that he was most displeased, as he hadn't finished colouring in two of them yet"

I guess the knock will come around 0.300Hrs our time?

It has been nice knowing you (but I suggest that you deny it)

Cheers folks

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    You know, it's not even the fact that SCO sent them a letter (and evidentally someone's cap key was stuck) since they flooded a lot of people with those letters. It's this statement at the end of the article that made me go... A$$HOLES:

Excuse me. So. Shall we just kill all innovation in favour of closed source applications? How will that help with jobs? Last time I checked there were quite a few jobs created because of open source and some pretty successful companies have done well because of it. Just ask Snort, TripWire, Redhat, Suse, MySQL, etc. (those are the ones that come to mind right away).

And it helps our enemies? So the fact that we send CNN crews with military to tell about where the units are isn't a threat?! What kind of backwards argument is this? Geez. This has to be the most moronic thing I've ever seen. The reality is that both open source and close source bring issues and risks with them. But they also bring the opportunity of development. And specifically, open source does this. Many times closed source won't take the risk unless there is an associated $$$ benefit. Someone in the open source environment sees that something needs to exist and thus creates it (SATAN is a good example). As the saying goes, Necessity is the mother of all invention. If many of the open source developers hadn't taken the risks, the advancements in computers and specifically, IMHO, security, wouldn't exist.

And the world would be in a far more dangerous situation than it is right now.
    Hey,

I agree with you their MsMittens. Who the hell does SCO think they are?

Anways, just my two cents.

EDIT:
    spelling

This paragraph really annoys me, Linux was created in Finland, thus "U.S" Law doesn't apply as such, Darl is implying that the rest of the world should follow US law.
    Just more BS from darl.

"Open-source software--available widely through the Internet--has the potential to provide our nation's enemies or potential enemies with computing capabilities that are restricted by U.S. law," McBride said. "A computer expert in North Korea who has a number of personal computers can download the latest version of Linux...and in short order build a virtual supercomputer."

Seriously, is America the only place that is allowed to have technology? Didn't the cold war end? What does SCO want everyone else in the world to run on their PCs--Win 3.1?

Their greed is just beyond me. I bet they would take money from charity boxes as well.
    Oh yeah, if you guys see any reps from SCO, tell them I saw a 5 year old walking around with a dollar hanging out of his pocket.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Are they serious i mean why don't we move that letter to the joke section of this forum i nearly fell of my chair laughing.

I love that this Korean super villain can't download any cracked commercial software out there he apparently is so law abiding that he will only use open source software to overthrow the us government.

Open-source software--available widely through the Internet--has the potential to provide our nation's enemies or potential enemies with computing capabilities that are restricted by U.S. law," McBride said. "A computer expert in North Korea who has a number of personal computers can download the latest version of Linux...and in short order build a virtual supercomputer."

Sorry took me a while to stop laughing before I could post.
    I am agree with MS Mittens on this. Where the first part of the artical makes a warped kind of sense giving what they are already doing. They may or may not have an american copyright to some little DLL used on certain linux systems. The letter sent to the senators is nothing more than a poor attempt to gain a scrap more publicity. Anyone with an ounce of sense can see the arguments used make no sense at all. I am going to stop there as I can feel an anti SCO rant coming on.
    Anyway for anyone who hasnt really followed this from the start, like me, here is a link to one of the original SCO storys. Its dated january 14 2003. To find information from before that date you need to look for Caldera.

SCO fees may hit some Linux users

From fees hitting some linux users to sueing IBM for 3 billion is a fair jump.

edit true the korean supervillian isnt much of a supervillian if he cant download hacked software from the net.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    to Lansing:
    you might be on to something

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...529579-8445635 when SCO find this, there will be hell to pay !!

I have to add that the majority of this thread has gone straight over my head. And the more I read from the links and thread the more something strikes me as not right, and I don't mean that there is something wrong, I mean that something seems to have fritzed in the collective mindset of SCO, and you are saying that they seem intent on attacking? even more unlikely opponents (I did 'get' the IRS one)

and as for getting them when they are young ??

http://bbspot.com/News/2003/08/sco.html

Google gave me 1.78 MILLION hits, and all I wanted was some background.

edit< thanx 2 Muracu for that link, still not getting it though >end edit
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

The sad part is most politicians will fall for the bull as will most of the uneducated/uninformed public. We will of course need new laws to deal with this serious threat.

This whole SCO thing is sounding more and more like a bad episode of Jerry Springer. Everytime I hear about them they are doing something stupid, but they are still getting millions in license revenue. Businesses need to wise up and not pay the license fees.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

OK, as an American I would like to say the SCO is not supoprted or liked. They do not represent me, and the do in fact suck balls. As was stated earlier. They are a fanatical rogue corporation and since they are taking on the government I hope someone takes notice and slaps their silly asses down to the pavement.

I totally agree with MsMittens and others, except the point of SCO trying to state there is a viable threat to security is mistaken or taken out of context. The threat of supercomputing is not troop movements or CNNs ability to connect to a satelite and show rockets going off in Bagdad. It's the accurate modeling of atomic fission and more critical, the avionic and guidence systems that would deliver the BOOM.

having said that, Linux is a world wide operation. It won't be shut down unless the EU and Canada, and China, and Russia all cave. Not going to happen and SCO can LMB.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.