Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with videocard

Help with videocard

Hi,
    I recently got a free geforce 2 MX200 graphic card, so i installed it.
    I had a few problems, the current graphic card im using was built into my motherboard, and for some reason Windows ME is not detecting my new graphic card. First im wondering if i installed the card correctly, does anything from the motherboard have to connect to the graphic card, or does it just pop into the slot and its ready to go? Next im wondering if i may have to turn off my built in graphic card before windows will detect the other one, so i went into bios, and saw nothing on how to turn it off. Is there some sort of switch on the motherboard to do so? I've also heard its just Windows ME, and if i upgraded to XP, it would find it.
    Any help on this subject would be great, thanks!
    Hacker dan

Banned
    well i have a GeForce 2 MX 400 XFX, all i did was plug it in, and windows xp detected it, but the build in one did disturb it, so i had to turn it off, in Xp you go to the Device Manager and just disable or Uninstall it. Did you get a Xtasy CD with it or any installation CD, installit from the CD. i think there was a Windows ME driver on the CD. There is no switch to turn off the build in one, u can just disable it from the Device Manager.

How to start Device manager in ME ?

http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q285122

What I would do, is diable it from the device manager.

right click my computer, select properties, then device manager, and go to display adapters, find your onboard video card, right click it and click disable.

Restart your computer, go into the BIOS and search for an option about your video card. You should see something that will let you disable your onboard video.

restat the computer install the drivers, and you should be good to go.
    =

Banned
    Isnt that what i said cheyenne ? Except the bios part, which i think he mentioned here:
    so i went into bios, and saw nothing on how to turn it off.

Hi,

This is a Windows ME box with a GeForce4 MX420 videocard in it. I just plugged it into the slot and it was detected. There are NO jumpers to set or other connections to make, and the same goes for the GeForce 2 cards that I have in other machines.

I had exactly the same problem as MemorY with XP and an onboard videochip, and his solution worked perfectly for me as well, so I guess that is an XP thing?

I have been careless in the past ...........yes I can make a real pillock out of myself when I try

I installed the new video card, and wondered why it did not work (there was a question as to whether it was burnt out). After I while I realised that I had not disconnected the VDU cable from the onboard card, and reconnected it to the new one!!!! For some reason it was not detected as new hardware (I think the OS was Win98se............can't remember the MoBo and BIOS)

As soon as I powered down, switched the VDU to the new card and booted again, it recognised that it was there. It used default drivers, so I was at 480x640 and 16 colours.

I then loaded the drivers for the card via the option in device manager and everything worked fine.

In this case I did not have to disable the onboard video, which would work if I reconnected the VDU to it before booting.

Both video devices were shown in device manager, with the disconnected one being flagged as having a problem.

Apart from that particular scenario I agree with what everone else has said. I would comment that I have seen BIOSes (on older ex-corporate boxes mostly) that do not have the ability to disable the onboard video, you have to do this through device manager if you need to. In other cases you have a choice between AGP and PCI.

Just a few thoughts (and a confession)

Please guys, i seriously need assistance on how my network behaves this days... I have a cisco router 3640 series with NM-1E2W, DM, WIC-1T, etc

Problem i experienced is timed out on the serial interface connecting my router to the service provider... at time i can ping the providers' interface ip connecting to my serial interface while some times it will tell me request timed out but the systems will browse the net but slowly with about 4000ms response from the interface ip address.

Please what could be the problem? is it the interface cards that are not okey or is from the service provider?

Thank you

Hi usmany,

Please do not get me wrong, but could you delete you post and start a new thread in the "general chit-chat" forum called something like "network/router performance problem"

The reason I suggest this is that you will have a far better chance of a prompt reply, given that this thread is about video cards, and could well be ignored by members who could give you an answer straight off?

If it looks like a hardware issue then I am sure that one of the moderators will move it, but I suggest that you give your question maximum exposure to start off.

Just a suggestion to get you the best results from the Forum

Cheers

Old Fart
    hackerdan1, it would be a lot easier (at least for me) if we knew what kind of motherboard you are using.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Al has a good point there,

If you don't know the MoBo then tell us the make and model of computer, what processor it has and the RAM type/capacity ( <control panel> then <system> will get most of that) and the BIOS (usually comes up just as you boot, or go into settings and you will see.........something like Award, AMI or whatever)

This is particularly important with old brand name (ex-corporate) machines, as they tend to have custom MoBos, BIOS and the rest.

I guess that I am fairly confident with Compaq, Digital, HP, IBM and Dell; but the specs change so much it would help.

Cheers

It's a Amptron motherboard, im running pet. 4, 256 DDR RAM.
    Hacker dan