Thread: MS to be sued in Europe

Banned

MS to be sued in Europe

After a non-productive talk between Steve Ballmer (MS) and Mario Monti (European Competition Commissioner), the European Union is ready to sue Microsoft.

The case: abuse of its dominant position on the PC-market.

On Wednesday, the European Commission will - at Monti's request - probably fine MS for a couple of hundred million Euro.

According to Monti, MS is using its quasi-monopoly position in PC-operating systems to take out software products of competitors.

The European Union has been negotiating with MicroSoft for the last five years, but according to Monti, there's nothing left to pressurize MS but to fine them.
    The EU will force MS to take Media Player out of its OS.
    Theoretically, Media Player is free, but everybody knows that the price of Media Player is included in the price of Windows.

[MS BASHING]

but everybody knows that the price of Media Player is included in the price of Windows
    I may have to second that, perhaps. I dunno. Seems every time I look on the tech-oriented sites, there is something about Microsoft getting sued again. I swear, there must be some tax writeoff for lawsuits, or why else would Microsoft leave some of these companies no other choice but to sue them?

non-productive talk between MS and European Competition Commissioner
    . Wow, you mean talks about friendly and fair competition were not productive? Are any talks with Microsoft about reducing their monopoly on the global market productive? Well, maybe just for the Steve Ballmer who can sit, pick his nose, pretend to listen, say no, and walk away with a triple digit paycheque. I can just see Bill Gates waiting when he walked out, "So son, how much did we get sued for?" Steve, "Well, we beat our old record by 25 million dollars!" Bill, "Congrads my laddy, you get a raise in your salary by 250 000 dollars a year!"

The next day, Steve opens what he thought would be his pay, but instead gets a letter from Bill sayin, "Your cheque will be NFS, don't bother cashing it. Oh, and you're fired."

[/END MS BASHING]

Well, on a more serious note, suing M$ for a few hundred million Euro's is like taking 5 Canadian cents from my wallet. Not gonna make me cry or change my mind. Microsoft needs something much, much, much, worse if they are going to change their ways. Chances are, it will never happen.

Lets hope for a Linux revolution

Dave
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

walk away with a triple digit paycheque
    LOL, we should all be getting at least triple digit paychecks, but I get what you're saying. I agree. But let's be honest. Microsoft isn't entirely to blame for the monopoly, all the people and corporations who have refused to look elsewhere need to shoulder some of the blame.

I think a better solution than suing them would be to run Linux. Suing them is like getting a 10% discount on Windows. It feels good, but doesn't really get you anything.

EDIT: I know, that's basically what's already been said, but I swear I thought about it while reading the first post.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I just got a preliminary figure on the amount. 613 million dollars.

Source: St. Petersburg Times
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

OK guys,

We generally have a "cease and desist" or "second strike" rule in Europe:

Well, on a more serious note, suing M$ for a few hundred million Euro's is like taking 5 Canadian cents from my wallet. Not gonna make me cry or change my mind. Microsoft needs something much, much, much, worse if they are going to change their ways. Chances are, it will never happen.
    NEXT time we sieze your assets, ban your trade, and imprison your executives...........want some more?

Anyone remember Nelson Bunker Hunt?......used to be a billionaire?

just my thoughts

cheers

Like a couple hundred million Euro is going to stop MS from taking over the world.