Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Windows Xp Security Question

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    In defence of Nihil: as a child of the 50's myself, it's not that old.
    and the electricity supply varies around the world. UK = 3 phase 415v = 240v per phase.
    trust me 240 + 240 = 415 when the phase angle is put in ( generation is a cycle? (not THAT type of cycle) 3 take off points = the phases, and the angle between them = 360/3 = 120) In the US of A the voltages are different, as are the values from practically every other country. Don't even ask about the frequency (Hz) me Electrical geek ?? for the last 30 !!!! years.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Hi jdenny,

1. Yes I am
    2. Quite right, now I think on it it was a MVS/CICS environment, MVS being the OS............the VMS was used on Digital/VAX boxes (PDP11s?) for process control etc.
    3. The industrial supply over here is 415volt three phase, except for construction sites where our safety laws require 110v single phase.

I guess my point is that mainframes are not likely to fall into the hands of skiddies because of their size, unusual voltage, and thinking on it, the fact that a lot of the old ones are water cooled, and require quite a sophisticated environment (degaussing, air conditioning etc).

Also I doubt if most skiddies could be bothered with learning a mainframe OS? and the systems tend to be internally facing rather than external? Outside connections tend to be through Windows and *nix servers?

darkes: thanks for that, never came across it myself but I bet the cards weren't cheap? I do remember playing with an IBM machine that physically looked like a PC, but was a miniature AS/400..................that was in the £ '000s!!!

Cheers

Or I put a firewall on, block all ports, install software I trust, and stand beside my machine with a shotgun. Come on, I dare you to physically try to access it.
    No problem.. nothing a good ole' napalm bomb wouldn't do, or a nice revolver that I could use to snipe you from across tha street with wouldn't do Not saying I would do this, btw..
    Space For Rent.. =]